Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need your thoughts.

Thanks

Default I need your thoughts.

As many of you know, we were going to move back to Texas in July, that is where the kids and grand kids are.
    My husband and I have given our notice's. Today my husband came home telling me that the president of the company came to see him, to offer him a huge promotion, if he would stay. My husband told him, that he had to talk to me first( good boy).
    When he told me first, I was almost mad at him, for considering it, because both of us and all the kids are so excited. But then he was starting to make a lot of sense.
    This job and promotion are a sure thing. When we go to Dallas, we have to find jobs ( I can transfer), he has done a lot of online applications, resume and cover letter, but has not heard anything yet. So what he is saying is right, we have a sure thing here, but not in Dallas. Plus our age, he is 59, I am 57, not easy to find a new job. Who is going to hire an almost 60 year old man?
    If we stay here, the raise he is getting ( the amount is not definite yet), but it is substantial, means, I might be able to stop working soon.
    But how am I going to tell the kids? They are going to be devastated.
    What would you guys do? We miss the kids very much.
    I don't want you to make the decision for me, I just want to hear what you would do.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

I really do not no what I would do. I recently moved and my children now live in my back yard seeing the grandkids every day is such a blessing. My mother has moved in with me and has dementia and I have been looking for a job with different hours so I no how job hunting is to. I no this did not help but I wanted you to no i'm thinking of you and am sure you will make the right decision.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to luci For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (05-29-2013)

Thanks

Hi Debbie,

It is certainly a difficult decision you are faced with. If it were me i would consider the possability of you being able to cut down in work or even leave work a huge gain for your health and wellbeing. Maybe with the extra money you may even be able to travel to be with your kids a bit more and stay with them longer without having to worry about your work commitments. Also as you mentioned the stress of finding a new job especially for your husband can impact greatly on you both.
    I'm sure you are weighing up every option and i wish you all the best.

Sam xx

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sammy For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (05-30-2013), steve.b (05-30-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

As you know I just retired. I'm 65 so I know what you are talking about. At this point, you are right about the difficulty of finding him a job in Dallas. My thought would be to go with the sure thing for the next 5 or 6 years then go to Dallas.

Good Luck in what ever the two of you decide

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nonna For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (05-30-2013), steve.b (05-30-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

it is a hard decision that no one but you 2 can make. please listen to everyones advice, but you both need to be happy. 5 years more in ny is not a long time for a 60 year old, but for younger people ........ also if you do not work full time, you could have more holidays with the kids. but do you want to stay? hope you can work it out, most promotion offers do not last long. and I presume your husband is good at his job... to be offered the promotion. could you find as good a job in dallas.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve.b View Post
    it is a hard decision that no one but you 2 can make. please listen to everyones advice, but you both need to be happy. 5 years more in ny is not a long time for a 60 year old, but for younger people ........ also if you do not work full time, you could have more holidays with the kids. but do you want to stay? hope you can work it out, most promotion offers do not last long. and I presume your husband is good at his job... to be offered the promotion. could you find as good a job in dallas.
    Hi Steve,

It is a hard decision and I thought, I'll ask people, who do not think with their heart, like me.
    If he could find a job, he would have to start at the bottom, for much less money.
    I still work full time, but with the promotion, I could soon think about disability. You are right, my husband is great at his job, that is why the president of the company, himself, came to talk to him and making this awesome offer.
    It is going to break the kids heart.
    We have already decided, that we will go and visit twice a year, instead of just once a year.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by debbie-b View Post
    ......We have already decided, .........
    glad that you could both come to a decission, either way it was going to be hard for someone.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Thanks

I am on this emotional rollercoaster, one day, I think the best thing to do, is going with the sure thing and the next day, I just want to be near the family.
    This morning, I am sitting here crying.
    I am usually not this "unstable", I think the pred. has something to do with it.
    A sign, whatever it may be, would be helpful, lol.
    I have to work, 2pm-9pm in customer service, I better not get a difficult customer today, I AM NOT IN THE MOOD, I could get fired today. lol

Debbie

Thanks

Hi Debbie

I feel for u both having to make such a big decision.
    When my son moved schools we asked him one question "Can you live like this for another five years?" If the answer is a plain and simple gut reaction 'no', then maybe you need to go with that. I know it's probably not that simple, but it drew a clear line for us to start at.
    Hope you feel more 'decided' soon.

Xxxxx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaynie For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (06-01-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Oh Debbie! I am so sorry that you are in this situation! My head says that you need to stay there a few more years. If you could quit working you will feel so much better. I can feel what your heart is saying though. I have a daughter leaving for college in a few months and the idea breaks my heart even knowing it is the right thing.

love ya and hope things work out
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

debbie-b (06-01-2013)