Thread: Prednisolone,how much do you take?

Thanks

Default Prednisolone,how much do you take?

Hi,I have been taking prednisolone amongst other drugs for around 17 years now.
    When I first started taking them I was on a high dose,I have have now been on 15 mg for many years.
    I just wondered how long others have been taking it and what doses.

Thanks

I've been on pred so long, I can't really remember... hmm... anyway, I was at 10 a day initially, but have gone up & down, with weeks of 60+ not uncommon, with the "ween" process afterwards. I was on 15mg lately, but we're trying to get me down to 5 a day. It's tough. There's a big difference between 15 & 10 and between 10 & 5. I'm "officially" diabetic now, and pred can *really* throw the blood sugar off.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

nanaeagle (10-19-2014)

Thanks

I've been on 60/day a couple of times (for about a month one time, and 2 weeks the other time) and felt GREAT on it...dang i wish that stuff weren't so dangerous! Didn't have too much trouble with the taper - but I am also on Mtx, which works well for me, and that probably makes it easier.

I am now trying 5mg/day as a kind of "maintenance dose" to see if it makes a difference. I am not sure it does - but I guess I won't really know until I try to go off it in a few months.

Thanks

I had my first bad flare starting in February and still ongoing today. After finally getting a diagnosis from my rheumatologist of SLE, he put me straight on 60mg of Prednisone and we are now slowly tapering down. This week I started a dose of 40mg for the next 2 weeks - my joints are starting to hurt quicker after repetitive use/activity (typing or walking for example), but nothing like it was at the beginning - thank goodness!

Hoping to be put on Plaquenil after my next appointment in 2 weeks if all is going well with the taper. Does anyone know why he would wait to put me on Plaquenil until he lowered the Prednisone?

Thanks

When Dylan was released from the hospital in Oct 2011, he came home on 80mg. He is currently taking 15mg. I'm hoping that they will lower it again but he's doing good so really don't wanna rock the boat.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

I have gone from 5-60. Sadly I have been unable to get below 40 even with MTX for longer than you want to know. We tried taking it down a couple of months ago and it didn't work.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I took 60 mg when I had my first major flare, but that was 21 years ago. I was on 20mg for a few months, then down to 5mg for about 7 years then I had to come off it since it made my bones thin (there wasn't so much info about the harm it can do in those days...I'm only 39, can't believe I just said that!)
    Now I am only on plaquenil and amitriptaline (which I have tried to cut down on, but less than 50mg and I can't manage)

Jx

Thanks

Whenever I've gone off 20 mg of prednisone, it was by 5 mg at a time over at least two weeks for every 5 but the last 5 always the toughest and have to do 2.5 for probably a month and then 2.5 every other day before going to one every two days. The pain and adjustment is much less if you take it gradual...slower than the doctor says it can be done.

Thanks

I'm currently on 5mg of preg, and going up to 10mg today and tappering up. The doctor said he would prefer that I'd stay on 5mg as a baseline and go up on it when flairs start.