Thread: Going Away to College With Lupus

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Going Away to College With Lupus

I'm going to be going away to college August. Any tips on stuff to bring with me to college to make life a little easier? Or any tips on living a college life with Lupus?

Thanks!

Thanks

I live at home while going to college. But I would make sure you have found new doctors before you move down there. Make sure to find a pharmacy close by for your medications to be moved to. Register with disabiltiy services before your classes start so you have papers to give your professors. If you have Raynauds make sure to pack a lot of things that you can layer with, and get packs of hot hands. Never over do it, and you will want to. Don't be afraid to let people know that you have health problems, most people are a lot more understanding than you would think, and if not then you found out early that they weren't worth your time! Avoid late nights as much as possible, even when they might be needed. The stress and lack of sleep will make you sick, so spacing things out the best you can is really important. If when you get your syllabus that you have several tests on the same day, or many in one week talk to your professors long beforehand to see if you can spread them out a little bit. I hope college is great for you its been awesome for me so far!
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Don't take on too much, start with the minimum course work. College is so different from high school so you don't know how your body is going to react to a full load. Seriously try to be as stress free as possible, college is stressful so don't do anything to add more to it. Buy a lock box for your meds and lock them up all the time(I just bought a money box from walmart). They steal everything in dorms especially medications! Find a pharmacy that delivers too because it is such a life and time saver. Get your doctor to type a letter explaining your disease and limits so you can copy and give to your professors, college administration you will have to deal with, and dorm RAs. I just know professors like letters better so they put it on file and still explain in person, I have had professors not care and some go out of their way to see how I was doing. Try to get a dorm on the same level as your laundry, most schools don't have the newer dorms with elevators so having not to go up and down stairs to do laundry will make a difference, and use your lupus card if you have to.
    All I can say is take care of your health more than you would at home. Your going to want to do things like regular college students and be normal but you have to remember your not. I didn't do that and had to quit after 1 year and am still sick after 3 years because I always forgot my sunscreen, skipped meds, stayed up late, took a full course work, and stressed more than I should have. It all caught up to me and I am still paying for it.

Thanks

Thank you both so much! This may sound like a dumb question but what is a Lupus card?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Riaheart View Post
    Thank you both so much! This may sound like a dumb question but what is a Lupus card?
    Oh well like to get a room so you wont have to climb stairs I meant tell the housing department about your lupus and how much it be easier for you with no stairs. When I say lupus card I mean like using your lupus to your advantage.