Thread: Lupus flare after sports injury?

Thanks

Default Lupus flare after sports injury?

Can a sports injury trigger a lupus flare? Do people with lupus respond differently to trauma from sports injuries? I crashed on my bicycle yesterday and bruised my knee and shoulder. I have been feeling nausea, fatigue, and malaise in addition to the localized knee and shoulder pain for about 24 hours. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Can a sports injury trigger an autoimmune flare? Thank you in advance for any insight or ideas.

Thanks

Hi,
    Maybe you have had a inflammatory response after the accident which might be causing your symptoms. I know if i hurt myself the inflammation goes nuts and i feel crappy for a few days longer than a person without Lupus, Fibro and chronic inflammation. But thats just me. Good luck and i hope you recover quickly.

Sam xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (05-15-2013)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree! Any kind of trauma to the body (injury, surgery, illness and STRESS) can cause our Lupus to flare up. It is usually wise, after any kind of trauma, to try to allow your body to completely rest if you can. I often suggest that we contact our rheumatologists, after trauma, to see if they may want us to increase some of our meds to get us through the period of trying to heal.

Best of luck to you
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!