Thread: Lab Tests - First Timer

Thanks

Default Lab Tests - First Timer

Hi all.
    I posted a few weeks ago in the newbie forum, but yesterday I finally had a doctor visit. I haven't had a primary physician in years, so the visit was LONG. He's a great doctor, working as a partner and not dismissing any of my symptoms or concerns.

I told him about all of my symptoms, even the weirdest, and he told me he believes that the ER doctor that told me I probably have Lupus or another immune disorder was right on target. He is sending me to the lab for lots of tests! I go in Monday morning. He's looking for Rheumatoid factor in addition to markers for SLE. I had a negative Rheumatoid test last year in the ER, but he says that it can come and go.

This is what he ordered:
    Comprehensive metabolic
    B12 and Folic
    Ferritin
    Uric Acid
    Free T4
    TSH
    CBC (blood counts)
    ESR
    Rheumatoid factor
    Cultures (hidden infection)
    ANA
    Anti-ssa
    Anti-DSDNA
    Anti-Smith

I'm both excited and terrified. Excited to find out what this is for sure. Terrified that everything will be negative and I'm just crazy. My husband said he'd prefer that I was crazy, but he can see how weak I get and yesterday he told me he started noticing how red my cheeks and nose have become lately. The redness on my face has only just began, but it's getting redder as the days go by.

Anyway, I am very excited and happy to finally get started on the path to getting well no matter what the tests turn up!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazed For This Useful Post:

Mando (06-25-2013)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Dazed,

It's an odd feeling, isn't it? Being excited about finally getting the answers you need, even if those answers verify something like Lupus.

It's been nearly ten years since my SLE diagnosis. I can remember being excited about the fact that I finally had an answer, and a real reason for the way I had been feeling. All those strange and seemingly random symptoms turned out to be not so random after all.

I wouldn't wish Lupus on my worst enemy, but if you have it, you have it, and the sooner you can find out for sure, the sooner you can start taking steps towards getting your symptoms under control.

Good luck with your upcoming appointment,

Rob

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Dazed (05-13-2013), Saysusie (05-12-2013), tgal (05-08-2013)

Thanks

Hi Dazed,

Your doctor seems to be a good one, he is also doing all the tests neccesary, to determine if it is an autoimmune disease.

Like Rob said, it sounds weird to other people, when all we want is a diagnosis. But at least, when we have a diagnosis, we can start treatment and start feeling better.
    I wish you luck for a quick diagnosis.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

Dazed (05-13-2013), tgal (05-08-2013)

Thanks

Thank you both!

Thanks

I am new here and am waiting on some test results as well. I have dealt with so much the last years but with no insurance, raising grand kids, and being a workaholic, I just dealt with it. Last year I felt so bad I went to the emergency room. Found out I have diabetes 2 so chalked everything up to that. My last A1C was 6.5 and I am still having some debilitating symptoms so began to wonder if there was something else going on. The clinic doctor ordered some autoimmune tests, so waiting for the results now. I haven't worked since last April. Some days are good but most days I feel awful. I am hoping to get some answers soon so at least I can start on a road to recovery. Thank you for all your posts, I have learned so much here.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to junebug For This Useful Post:

Dazed (06-18-2013)

Thanks

It took a long time for me to get my labs done, my ride kept canceling on me. FINALLY was able to make it about 2 weeks ago. My doctor appointment is tomorrow morning and hopefully the tests will have helped us get a little closer to an answer. Will update as soon as I know my results.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazed For This Useful Post:

steve.b (06-19-2013)