Thread: Lupus and Positive Lyme test

Thanks

Exclamation Lupus and Positive Lyme test

Hello everyone, My name is Linda. I am 52 years old. I have autoimmune hepatitis confirmed; waiting on appointment with Rheumi doctor to confirm Lupus diagnosis. My oldest daughter (31) has confirmed diagnosis of Lupus; her daughter (11) has Lupus; She was also genetically tested and it came back with 3 out of 4 genetic markers for inherited Lupus (from me probably). I have two direct aunts with RA; two first cousins with RA; one first cousin with Sygrones syndrome (sp?); and 4 direct cousins/aunts with contractures in their hands. so the odds are I have Lupus as well....I just had blood work (primary doctor wanted to rule things out) for Lyme...received a positive on the RH factor, but everyother breakdown of the test was negative. She said people with autoimmune may have a false positive result. Has anyone else ran into this happening? She wants to put me on a month of antibiotics but I am concerned with my autoimmune symptoms it will throw me into a flare...what are your thoughts???

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It is not uncommon for those with Lupus to have a false positive test for Lyme. Unfortunately, it does happen. In studies, a positive for Lyme disease was found in up to 40% of patients with established SLE and also in other rheumatic diseases. Lyme disease results from the spread of Borrelia burgdorferi bacteria living inside infected ticks. Lyme disease spreads only by a tick bite. Though the bite may go unnoticed, the infection usually starts with a painless, spreading rash where the tick had attached itself to the skin. So, unless there are indications (test results etc) and/or signs of the insect bite, the chances are pretty good that you do not have Lyme disease.
    I am glad that your doctor is being thorough, but try not to worry too much about this.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

I have Lupus, Sjogren's, and APS - I test false-positive for Lymes, Syphillis, and a number of other blood pathogens. This is not at all uncommon! In fact, that is how we discovered the APS - when we got our blood tests to get married, the Syphillis came back positive. LOL I was pretty sure it was a bad test - so they did further testing and found the APS (which my dad also has). They should probably test you for APS....

Of course it IS possible to have Lupus AND Lymes - hard to definitively diagnose, since there's not absolute blood test for either one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

tgal (05-08-2013)