Thread: PMS or SLE flare???

Thanks

Default PMS or SLE flare???

hi there,

i have lived with SLE for 9 years now and after a major flare several years back, the symptoms have mostly been limited to joint pains and fatigue. However , this time just before my periods were due i ended up with a feverish feeling( although there was no fever) with severe bodyache and fatigue and felt like i will die if i take another step and these symptoms lasted for a couple of days and went away when the periods were over. my periods are always mild and dont last more than 3-4 days. I am confused whether it was PMS or SLE flare. I am in a new country and have yet to find a good rheumi/gp. I would like to know wht u can make out of it :cry:

sara

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Sara;
    Many women report that their Lupus worsens before and during menstruation. In fact, menstruation has even been know to bring on a Lupus flare. Estrogen has been implicated in making the condition worse and this problem is currently being studied. For this reason, women with lupus who are on birth control medications are encouraged to take those that contain little or no estrogen.
    So, to answer your question, your symptoms are probably due to both - Lupus and PMS!

Peace and BLessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

thanx a lot saysusie it feels good to know that there are people who care to listen to your problems specially when family is not bothered about it. There are a few queries regarding SLe which have been troubling me since ages and i do hope you can help me find an answer. here they are :

1. My Sle has been limited to joint pains, fatigue and bodyache for past 9 years. I have heard that its a progressive disease and worsens with time as more and more body organs get involved. Is it true?

2. For past 9 mnths i am on homeopathic medicine and have completely stopped methotraxate and plaquinil which i was taking earlier. MOstly i am symptom free except for occassional bad days but they are manageable. Does complemetary med like homeopathy really work or is it just a long remisssion period i am going through?

3. Shd i still get all the routine blood tests done for Sle when i am having no major problems?

i am eager to know your views on the above.

thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I cannot say if your homeopathic regime is causing the remission-like symptoms. I do know that Lupus is known to, sometimes, go into spontaneous remission (just as we have spontaneous and unpredictable flares).
    I have never tried homeopathic treatments. I am biased against them because my daughter (in her valiant effort to get well) tried them, went off of some of her medications doing so and subsequently and irreversably damaged her heart which eventually led to her death. I do not say this to scare you away from your regime, but just to tell you to be very, very careful about what medications you eliminate. Please do not do anything without consulting with and getting approval from your doctors.
    Lupus affects each one of us differently..your lupus has remained constant for a number of years and there is no reason to think that this may not just be "Your Lupus". Yes, it does sometimes progress, but it also sometimes does not progress. My advice is to take very good care of yourself, stick with your treatments, listen to your body, and make the necessary lifestyle changes to avoid flares and to manage your disease.

I wish you the very best
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

[
    susie, i am extremely sorry to hear abt ur daughter...I think i shd get hold of a good rheumi here and take his advice regarding homepathy and SLE. I too am curious wht is going on inside my body since past 8-9 mnths and a few routine tests should put my doubts to rest..

thanx for ur advice

quote="Saysusie"]I cannot say if your homeopathic regime is causing the remission-like symptoms. I do know that Lupus is known to, sometimes, go into spontaneous remission (just as we have spontaneous and unpredictable flares).
    I have never tried homeopathic treatments. I am biased against them because my daughter (in her valiant effort to get well) tried them, went off of some of her medications doing so and subsequently and irreversably damaged her heart which eventually led to her death. I do not say this to scare you away from your regime, but just to tell you to be very, very careful about what medications you eliminate. Please do not do anything without consulting with and getting approval from your doctors.
    Lupus affects each one of us differently..your lupus has remained constant for a number of years and there is no reason to think that this may not just be "Your Lupus". Yes, it does sometimes progress, but it also sometimes does not progress. My advice is to take very good care of yourself, stick with your treatments, listen to your body, and make the necessary lifestyle changes to avoid flares and to manage your disease.

I wish you the very best
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie[/quote]

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are welcome and thank you for your kind words. Also, I think that is a very wise decision to have the tests, consult a rheumatologist and make the necessary lifestyle changes.

Keep us advised of how you are doing!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie