Thread: If I Use Sunblock, Long Sleeves and a Hat, Will I still Flare?

Thanks

Default If I Use Sunblock, Long Sleeves and a Hat, Will I still Flare?

Hi All!

I was told by my rheumy to use sunblock with an SPF 50+. I also bought SunGuard UPA Clothing Protection and I plan to buy some lightweight long-sleeve tunics or cardigans along with a wide-brim hat. So, with all that in place, will I be able to go out in the middle of the day to go to the grocery store or say to walk around town or go sightseeing, or will I still be banned to the indoors? In other words, how effective are these measures against lupus flares triggered by the sun?

OBTW, bought Neutrogena Pure & Free Liquid Daily Sunblock SPF 5O for my face and Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70
    with helioplex for other exposed body parts. Is this good stuff?

Thanks in advance!
    PBeth

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pbeth For This Useful Post:

Polly (05-07-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm a Neutrogena fan as well as ALBA sunscreen. As far as "suiting up" and going out, test yourself. Go out for 5 minutes the first time and see how you feel. If you tolerate it well, extend the time. Also look online for the UV reports for your area. UV leveles flucuate from day to day so knowing what the level expected for your area will help you determine when it is best to go out. I just ordered a new UV sensor off of Amazon ( I wore out the last one) that will tell me what the UV level is within 3 seconds.

Don't let Lupus stop you from doing the things you enjoy. Just learn what works for you and go out and have fun!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

Polly (05-07-2013), tgal (04-26-2013)

Thanks

Welcome to WHL.

I know others on the board are sun sensitive, however, I'm not one of them. I am more heat sensitive in that my internal thermostat seems to be broken and can't regulate my temp like it use to.

It sounds like you have a good plan of attack with the sunscreen and long sleeve tunics. I would add a nice wide brimmed straw hat to the mix. They can be quite fashionable, protective and keep your body temp lower.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

See usually that would work but my problem is that i'm extremely sun and heat sensitive. So I don't wear sun protective clothing because I get so over heated. Everyone is different it all depends on how your lupus reacts to the sun and heat. Like when i'm in a remission the less heat and sun sensitive I am than if i'm in a relapse. I know some lupus people who don't even have the sun sensitivity at all. Except for the summer I go out during the day but always use sunscreen(which is the nutrogena) don't forget your ears I know a lot of people forget ears and the back of your neck. During the summer because of the heat and this making the my sun issue more of a problem I actually only leave the house either early in the morning and mostly at night. Also I have blacked out 90% of my household windows.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (05-21-2013)