Thread: High protein diets for weight loss and lupus?

Thanks

Default High protein diets for weight loss and lupus?

I'm about 100 lbs overweight. (I've got prednisone to thank for the last 10 pounds to put me where I am now. *sigh*) I know I need to lose weight so I'm overhauling my diet. I also have pre-diabetes and I know that controlling the amount of carbohydrates helps control my blood sugar, plus helps with weight loss and general well-being.

But since being diagnosed with lupus, I'm concerned with the higher protein in lower carb diets. I know I've heard high protein diets are hard on the kidneys. I'm trying to figure out whether the benefits (weight loss, fairly rapid once I get started) outweigh the risks of taxing my kidneys. My last labs said that I don't have kidney involvement but that was approximately a year ago but we all know how fickle lupus is.

Thanks

I do sort of a modified "Paleo" diet (gluten, dairy, and soy-free) and it has been WONDERFUL for me. I feel best (and lose weight) when I keep carbs to under about 15% of my overall diet. It has taken me almost a year to really adjust, and for this way of eating to become a habit - but it has been life-changing for me.

Let me state unequivocally that [B]IT IS NOT A CURE OR TREATMENT[/B] for my Lupus, Sjogren's, APS, Raynaud's or anything else, and it's all been done under medical supervision and advice. Neither my doctor nor I know if it actually has any SCIENTIFIC effect on the disease activity or not - but it DOES make me feel better when I eat that way, so I do it. Any little thing helps! I feel that it is something I do for my health and well-being, as well as treating the autoimmune disease with Plaquenil, Methotrexate, and occasional Prednisone. I go in for regular monitoring of my blood work, liver, and kidney function, and check any dietary changes with my Rheum. I drink a TON of water, because I know shifting protein balances CAN be had on kidneys.

Losing some weight feels better on my already-achy joints, and eating this way has been the only thing that really works for me. I don't do anything crazy or radical - I just eat lots of very healthy, unprocessed foods - lean meats, fruits, veggies, nuts - and a very few grains. Almost no sugar. Eating healthier probably helps ANYbody, no matter WHAT their ailments!

Just don't do anything without medical advice!!!!!! Everybody's body is different; everybody's Lupus is different. Only you and your doctor can decide what might work for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

redstringsoul (04-24-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Please keep in mind that since Lupus affects us all differently the types of diets we need may be different as well. This is one area you really have to discuss with your doctor
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

redstringsoul (04-24-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyInSeattle View Post
    I do sort of a modified "Paleo" diet (gluten, dairy, and soy-free) and it has been WONDERFUL for me. I feel best (and lose weight) when I keep carbs to under about 15% of my overall diet. It has taken me almost a year to really adjust, and for this way of eating to become a habit - but it has been life-changing for me.

Let me state unequivocally that [B]IT IS NOT A CURE OR TREATMENT[/B] for my Lupus, Sjogren's, APS, Raynaud's or anything else, and it's all been done under medical supervision and advice. Neither my doctor nor I know if it actually has any SCIENTIFIC effect on the disease activity or not - but it DOES make me feel better when I eat that way, so I do it. Any little thing helps! I feel that it is something I do for my health and well-being, as well as treating the autoimmune disease with Plaquenil, Methotrexate, and occasional Prednisone. I go in for regular monitoring of my blood work, liver, and kidney function, and check any dietary changes with my Rheum. I drink a TON of water, because I know shifting protein balances CAN be had on kidneys.

Losing some weight feels better on my already-achy joints, and eating this way has been the only thing that really works for me. I don't do anything crazy or radical - I just eat lots of very healthy, unprocessed foods - lean meats, fruits, veggies, nuts - and a very few grains. Almost no sugar. Eating healthier probably helps ANYbody, no matter WHAT their ailments!

Just don't do anything without medical advice!!!!!! Everybody's body is different; everybody's Lupus is different. Only you and your doctor can decide what might work for you.
    you made me chuckle
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (04-24-2013)