Thread: Lump in mouth

Thanks

Default Lump in mouth

I had an odd-ish experience a few months back and then again a few weeks ago and was wondering if it may be a symptom of lupus since I know that some people have mouth issues during flares. I had a lump of inflamed tissue on my gum, first way back in my mouth behind my molars, and then again a few weeks ago above my teeth on the gumline.

The swellings didn't really hurt but I definitely noticed them. I didn't want to go to the dentist because, well, cash problems. At first I thought it may be an abscessed tooth in need of a root canal, but I'd had those before and there was no tooth pain! The swelling was kind of soft-ish and bled a little when I brushed near it but was otherwise tolerable. It went away of its own accord about 7 ~ 10 days. I can't remember if the first incidence happened during a flare but the most recent one was definitely during a flare. (I'd been on prednisone for about 2 ~ 3 weeks at the time.)

Any ideas? Just mouth related or could this be related to lupus?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I get this a lot, it's kind of sensitive like if it was a sore or something right? I don't know what it is either but I always thought it was related to lupus kind of like the canker sores.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

redstringsoul (04-16-2013)

Thanks

Hi,
    I also get this alot too. when it happens with other things i know i'm in a flare be it big or small. I certainly put it down to my Lupus and it's very interesting when you hear other people get the same things. Thanks for sharing

Sam xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

a couple of possibilities that i have learnt about....

lupus does often lead to a dry mouth.
    this dry mouth increases the likelihood of gingivitis.

it is not uncommon for our medications to also cause our dry mouth.
    once again this increases the likelihood of gingivitis.

lupus can cause issues with blood flow.
    this decreased blood flow causes lots of problems within the mouth.
    again inflamed gums is common.

also tooth decay can cause inflamed gums.

as there is so many possibilities......
    a dental visit is sometimes required to help isolate what it is that is causing the problem.

quite a few of us have been advised by our dentists that a 6 monthly scale and clean helps to keep our mouth a lot healthier.
    it is a form of preventative medicine, as only going once a year can leave problems too long, and they become major.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Im not sure if its the same as you describe but I had what I described as maybe a blister. It was swollen it would get in the way of chewing at its largest and then would pop only to come back. It was a clearish looking bump/blister. No pain until it popped. I had them in two different spots in my mouth at different times. One area it would return after popping three times. Like you I wondered lupus or should I go see the dentist. Also wondered about an abcess but had no tooth pain and these bumps were on my cheek. I eneded up trying some over the counter mouth wash by colgate. While the bumps were present I swished 3 times a day and then after brushing for about a week after they disappeared. So far they have not returned. I had just started Cellcept and kinda just chocked it up to the new med. I do need a trip to the dentist but just havent gotten to it. I hate the dentist more then anything.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcatsgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomcatsgirl View Post
    Im not sure if its the same as you describe but I had what I described as maybe a blister. It was swollen it would get in the way of chewing at its largest and then would pop only to come back. It was a clearish looking bump/blister. No pain until it popped. I had them in two different spots in my mouth at different times. One area it would return after popping three times. Like you I wondered lupus or should I go see the dentist. Also wondered about an abcess but had no tooth pain and these bumps were on my cheek. I eneded up trying some over the counter mouth wash by colgate. While the bumps were present I swished 3 times a day and then after brushing for about a week after they disappeared. So far they have not returned. I had just started Cellcept and kinda just chocked it up to the new med. I do need a trip to the dentist but just havent gotten to it. I hate the dentist more then anything.
    Blister! That's the word I was looking for -- this was pretty much my exact experience. Hmmm, I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out. I hate going to the dentist, too!!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Oral blisters are often a sign of active Lupus (flare). Especially on the top of the mouth or around the gum line. You may also get them in the nose( Those are very painful btw). Mouth and nose blisters happened a lot to me before the plaquenil although I still get them on occasion
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Mica (04-17-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

FYI- it's possible your cellcept started working and the first sign was those going away. Watch for more though because cellcept can also cause mouth ulcers. Catch 22
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~