Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caffeine anyone?

Thanks

Default Caffeine anyone?

What's the word on this? It's hard for me to get anything done without a good strong cup in the morning. Sodas I can live without. An occasional glass of tea I like. A friend of mine (the one I mentioned elsewhere who's been in remission 20 years) says all her SLE pals agree, caffeine is like "the devil." She never touches coffee. I admit, her skin is beautiful which may be related to no caffeine. She said when she lived in England for a year in college she stopped drinking sodas (which she previously drank like water) and she's convinced that's why she went into remission -- she doesn't think it was the absence of sun.

I asked my rheum and he says in the scheme of things a cup or two of coffee every day isn't a big deal. He says the same thing about an occasional glass of wine (I'm a social drinker only, maybe drink 2-3 glasses a month.)

What's your thought?
    i love the smell of doughnuts in the morning. it's the smell of... victory!

Thanks

I have to have at least one cup of coffee in the morning. I love sweet iced tea.I drink that probably more than I should.The only effect it has on me is that if I don't have a cup of coffee in the morning I get a headache.
    I don't drink, so I'm not sure about the effects of alcohol.
    I haven't had a flare up in 2 years until recently and that was because I was in the sun to long.
    Your friend in Texas, Jessica

Thanks

I love coffee with caffiene. I think your doctor has the right idea. I've tried life without coffee and it didn't seem to make one bit of difference in the way I felt except that I felt I was denying myself one more thing I loved. You will find an article almost every other week about the horrible or good effects of coffee and many other things we enjoy in life. I believe there isn't good science that tells us we shouldn't have our coffee in moderation. I also have a diet coke daily! Good luck and if you decide to drink coffee....enjoy it without guilt. Debann

Thanks

I love my starbucks!!! I think it's all about moderation. Don't go overboard! Same with alcohol. I'm a social drinker too. I avoid drinking anywhere close to the time I've taken any meds or if I have to take some within a few hours after. You'll learn what is best for your body! :lol:

Thanks

Like I said I love my coffee but I can't handle any alcohol with my meds. I feel weird after just one sip of a strong drink. I can drink a light beer but only one and wine gives me horrendous headaches after just a little bit (but I can take communion wine OK) I wonder why that is? debann

Thanks

I only drink caffeine when I have a migraine, no other time. It works perfectly for me. I get flashing lights, colored lights, and something called a fortification effect that blocks my vision in the right eye. I immediately make a pot of caffinated coffee, or stop at the nearest store and get a giant coffee. Within 1/2 hour, my visual symptoms are gone, though I still may have a residual headache. I never drink caffeine otherwise, as I am afraid this "treatment" would no longer work! I don't have to addd another drug to my aresenal, and the most it's cost me is about $3.00! I would be interested to know if this works for anyone else. I never had migraines until the lupus, and I found this treatment for myself sort of by happenstance, though doc thinks it is fine - why not it works.

Thanks

You're right on the money...my mom used to get migraines whenever she tried to cut back coffee -- she ended up giving in to her 8-10 cup a day 'habit'. And doctors at that time (70s) treated migraines with caffeine pills. My mom said the same thing you do, why take a pill if a cup o' joe will do the trick?
    P.s. - doctor said it worked by relaxing the blood vessels in the head, which cause the pain when constricted.
    i love the smell of doughnuts in the morning. it's the smell of... victory!

Thanks

You know, my doctors told me to cut caffeine out of my diet when I first got sick and they still didn't know what was wrong with me, so I did. It was hard because I was drinking 4 or 5 diet cokes a day. The first couple of months were killer. Now I can go days without caffeine of any kind. If I am having a bad day or a morning where I am having a hard time getting moving, I find that a mild cup of coffee with cream or a Starbucks Latte is a nice pick me up without making me too jittery and it doesn't make me sick or anything. When I feel a migraine coming on, I can usually slow it down by downing a full can of coke or a strong cup of coffee, but I can't stop the headache completely without Imitrex.

As for alcohol, I only drink occasionally and I try to plan for it. I will not drink if it is close to my medication time. I can't drink wine because I am allergic to sulfites, so that makes that easy. I find it very easy just to say no too, even when in social situations, a lot easier now then when I was younger.

Oh yeah, and as for great skin, a good skin care regimen (that doesn't have to take a lot of time) will work, especially one that includes occasional gentle microdermabrasion. And drinking lots of water.

Thanks

I love my once a week starbuck's. I'd drink it everyday, if I could, but I am nuts for the double shot frappacinos and that would lead to a whole new set of problems.

My doctor constantly lectures me about the diet soda. He said that's not any better than regular soda. He's also what I call a "purist" dietician who doesn't believe in any kind of diet food. He bribed me recently. He said if I didn't drink any soda for a month, I could have my natural peanut butter back. Needless to say, I'm at two weeks going on three. I want my peanut butter back! oh yeah, and my starbuck's. lol
    44, dx in 2000 for SLE... I survive by my creativity.
    My daily blog and excuse to post artwork and photography: http://www.jaynedarcy.us

My writing group: http://www.3rdeyewriters.com

Thanks

Oh man....give up caffine?

I did without - decaf only - for several years. When the lupus headaches started, I learned that for me, caffine plus aspirin helped more than other "stuff" - so I have started drinking it again.

Starbucks is good, i prefer Caribou! Give me my "half-caf" with a bit of milk in the morning, and mayb a latte once a week...mocha if I'm feeling rich.

I don't drink 4-5 cups a day, but I don't avoid it like I used to either. I don't think I've seen a correlation between "heavy" caffine days and heavier lupus symptoms.