Thread: Chest pain/pressure, just part of Lupus?

Thanks

Default Chest pain/pressure, just part of Lupus?

Hello! I was just diagnosed with Lupus in February after several years of symptoms and being diagnosed with RA. In February my Rheumy also diagnosed me with Pleurisy. I understand what it is, so that part isn't my question, but is it something you have for life or is it just a symptom?

For about 9 months I have been complaining of intermittent chest pain or pressure. (I was diagnosed with asthma in 1998, but have only had problems with it when I get sick over the past 5 years - this chest pain is not relieved with my albuteral inhaler) I have noticed that when I'm upset or very stressed it gets worse. I also have it when I am not upset or stressed though. I go several days with nothing and then will have for days at a time (I have it more often than not though). I'm just trying to figure out if I need to have it addressed or if it's just something I have to live with? Oh, I have had the pain and my lungs have sounded clear....which makes me question what it could be also.

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Never, ever mess with chest pain. Remember, Lupus is a disease that attacks other organs. It could be something simple like your asthma acting up (but even that needs to be dealt with) or stress but it could also be something more serious. I would suggest making an appointment with a pulmanologist (sp) and going and having your lungs looked at. If you begin having any left sided pain (arm, neck, shoulder hand) or you can't breath get to an ER right away. Never mess around with issues that could involve an organ. That is the #1 rule when dealing with Lupus.

hope this helps and welcome to the WHL family
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Koilover512 (06-02-2013), marmck (04-05-2013), SleepyInSeattle (04-05-2013)

Thanks

Thanks for your quick response. I know it's stupid to mess around, but sitting here now it's there probably like a 2 or 3 on the pain scale (comparatively....I think we all have a higher tolerance for pain than "normal" people) and in the center of my chest and under my right breast. I guess that's why I don't worry about my heart. I do have a slight headache though.....ugh!!! I hate to waste my time at the doctor's office and who do I call? My Rheumy, who has diagnosed me with Pleurisy before or my GP since I'm not sure if it's Lupus related?

Thanks

Definitely get it checked - it could be any of a zillion things, but with many autoimmune diseases, some kind of chest/lung involvement is not unusual. When I was being diagnosed, I had a full work-up by a pumonologist (several scans and appointments), and I had only VERY minor, intermittent symptoms...still, they wanted to check them out, and also to get a baseline so they can note any changes. They said they'd probably re-do the tests every couple of years, even if there were no changes, just so they could catch anything early and treat it appropriately. I guess stuff like Interstitial Lung Disease can come on pretty fast and hard with Lupus patients.

Anyhow - don't ever assume anything is "just something you have to live with"...it might BE that way, but it might also be something you should get treatment for - only your doc can help determine that.

I absolutely HATE complaining to my doc all the time - it's just not "me". But I am learning that it's part of being responsible for myself and this stupid disease. Many doctors now have online profile systems where you can email comments or questions, which somehow feels much less "needy" to me because my doc (or his nurse) can make a note and reply at their convenience instead of me interrupting their days with lots of phone calls, etc. You might look into that option as well.

I am sorry you're not feeling well - I hope you get some resolution on it soon!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

tgal (04-05-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

until you know how lupus is effecting your body......... please do not take anything for granted. I have a major issue with inflammation. what you describe is very similar to what I have on a regular basis. but having said that... it is also very similar to your pleurisy. I have unfortunately seen someone suffer very badly from pleurisy. what you describe is very similar to what they suffered. so until you know exactly how your body handles both pleurisy and lupus, please do not take any second guesses.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.