Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nervous for surgery!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Nervous for surgery!

Hi all!
    So I have my preop appointment for my wisdom tooth surgery tomorrow and hopefully surgery will be on Friday. I'm nervous because this tooth is a "high risk" surgery apparently. Long story short, the angle that it is at in my gums makes it difficult to reach in after cutting to get it. It puts it at a higher risk to get pushed up into my nasal cavity. Since my mouth is "abnormally small", I have to get it cut from the side. Gah, I'm nervous!

There is a chance that they will tell me tomorrow that they won't be able to do it. I'll be so mad because it pretty much feels like someone punches me in the mouth every morning. I guess we will see! I'll keep you all updated though!
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Thanks

Good luck and keep us posted! Will be thinking of you tomorrow!

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou

Thanks

im so sorry that you have to go through that. I cant imagine whats that like since i never had mouth surgery before. But i do know that surgery sucks BIG time since ive had three so far. ill pray for ya!!!

Thanks

When I was a teenager, I had a pretty complicated wisdom tooth removal, too. Thankfully, though, they were very good about providing me with strong pain medication to get me through the first few days post-surgery, so it wasn't that bad. Be sure you have someone to take care of you at least for the first day (you'll be coming off anesthesia), and before you go to surgery, stock up on soft foods-- smoothies, ice cream, yogurt, jello, etc. You won't want to eat much else the first few days!

All in all, it likely won't be that bad. Just take it easy afterward. And check in when you're up to it and let us know how it goes!

Thanks

I'm a white knuckler when it comes to the dentist, however, once all is said and done, I'm glad I've gotten things taken care of.

Try not to worry. Anxiety just makes it worse!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I hope all goes well and you are able to have the surgery done and it goes smoothly.

Get some soups that can be drank that way you won't just have sugar foods.

No straws.

You can also do Ensure.

I highly recommend lying back as much as possible/elevate on pillows and keeping your face iced.

I used rice bags as they can be reused in the freezer and aren't as hard as ice and the more you stay down/back and not lean forward, the less bruising and swelling you will have.

Ask if you can get your script today and fill it that way you will not have to be left alone at home when dropped off and picked up or in the car while its being done.

I swelled the worst on day 3. I think I would have had a lot less if I hadn't bent over so much. I felt pretty normal by then except for the chipmunk cheeks but I had minimal bruising. They removed 3 from me. 2 on top and 1 bottom all were impacted and sideways halfway toward the front of my mouth. I evidently have a "small mouth" also...although there are some who would not agree with the dentist assessment-like hubby .
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

I will be thinking of you. Keep us posted!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hey everyone!
    So went to the surgeon today and he said that he will be removing it on Friday at 8 in the morning! My mom will take good care of me i'm sure He said that i'm probably going to swell more than normal just because of the position of the tooth, but it should be okay. The surgeon i'm going to was actually voted "Best Dental surgeon" in 2009-2012 so i feel like he definitely knows what he is doing! haha
    I'll keep you all posted!
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashleybaby715 For This Useful Post:

Nonna (03-15-2013), steve.b (03-13-2013)

Thanks

A month ago I went for a cleaning and ended up with an extraction.
    To make a long story short years ago I had a root canal and a crown installed-the tooth decayed below the crown and could not be saved.
    The dentist attempted to pull this tooth but couldn't and ended up sending me across town to an oral surgen to complete the job.
    All in all it was pretty painless- more uncomfortable than painfull.

About a year ago I had been in for a cleaning and the x-ray showed no problem with this tooth- he feels the massive amount of meds I take are responsible for the quick demize of this tooth. And stressed how important it is for a check up every 6 mos.

Good Luck Niall

Thanks

... and I wanna know, *why* do they call them "wisdom" teeth? If they were so wise, they wouldn't be where they are, now would they?...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

ashleybaby715 (03-14-2013)