Thread: How often should one take prednisone?

Thanks

Default How often should one take prednisone?

Sorry for not searching the forum but I am really lost and the doctors aren't helping so I have to do the research. I've tried to do my own research but I get frustrated not finding the answers to my questions from people that have lupus.

I just want to know how often a person should take prednisone? What if it's the only medicine they've been prescribed? (They don't want to give a lupus diagnosis and don't prescribe anything else).

I've read that lupus comes in flares. And that some have prednisone "rounds" just like some people have with other kinds of treatments? But what if the person with lupus gets the STRONG negative effects of CNS lupus right after stopping treatment and they can't stop taking prednisone so much so that they can't do these "rounds"? Are any of you like this?

What would be a "moderate" and balanced dose of prednisone for daily and constant consumption to stave off the negative effects on the bones?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

None of us here are doctors so we can't tell you how long or how much you would need. What I can tell you is that there are some Lupus patients that do take steroids long term and not just in short rounds. I am one of them. The doctor usually starts you off of the medrol packs or "rounds" and then a very low dose daily to see if that helps. If you go into a flare they may raise the dose to try and bring you out of it. The goal is to e on the lowest dose possible but yes, some people do have to take it every day for long periods

Thanks

Thanks. I know you guys aren't doctors but at least I think some of you have met with doctors that acknowledge the presence of and are willing to help you treat lupus. So any bit of knowledge I can get helps.