Thread: Rash questions

Thanks

Default Rash questions

Does anyone know:

Can the butterfly rash be mild? As in pink flush like color? (I have a picture for anyone interested in seeing)

Can the rash feel hot?

Can heat make it show up more?

also:

Every year or so I break out in a mysterious rash. Small raised bumps that show up beneath my breasts and on my lower arms. I also have weird red dots on my upper arm that are not raised, it looks like someone painted red dots on my arms. Oh and I also get weird rashes on my thighs and near my armpits on my back.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have a reddish-pink rash that is always on my cheeks and along my nose. It does get redder and hot sometimes it is usually when my temp. is elavated.It never hurts,alot of the time I totally forget it's there until I see myself in the mirror.If I get in the sun it makes me red all over.I don't get a rash anywhere else.On the back of my arms I have always had small pink bumps.I just figure it must be hereitary,my mom,sister,aunts and female cousins have them too.I hope you find the answers that you are looking for.
    Your friend in Texas, Jessica

Thanks

Right now, you can only see my butterfly rash right after I wash my face. I have very sensitive skin, which I'm sure is lupus related, and have a very pale complexion. I get weird rashes everywhere. I get some that look like ringworm, red dots, warts, red goose bumps, etc. I think the red dots (if they don't go away) are vasculitis- which scares me. Saysusie will know... :?: Saysusie..?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Janere :lol:
    The butterfly rash is considered the classic lupus rash. It is generally a redness on the cheeks (malar blush). It can be as mild as a slight blush-like rash to a severe, red, scaly rash. The butterfly rash may also be short lived, or it may last for many months. The lesion/rashe usually appears after sun exposure but persists a few days to weeks before healing without scarring. It may be accompanied by erythematous lesions/rash in other areas of the body, usually on the trunk, arms or legs. The rash normally is itch-free and painless, although it may itch and cause a burning sensation.
    Lupus has many different types of rashes. Discoid lupus has rashed with red skin patches on the skin and scaliness can lead to scarring. It usually occurs on the face and scalp and can lead to loss of scalp hair (alopecia).
    Subacute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus lesions/rash can be in one area of the body or in many areas of the body. These rashes can look like blemishes or pimples and generally itch. They can be on any place on the body, and this type of rash is associated with a high prevalence (70%) of Ro(SS-A) antibodies.
    The treatment of skin disease in lupus erythematosus involves the use of a number of drugs as well as the use of sunscreens. Individual lupus lesions can be treated with the topical application of steroid creams, the application of a steroid impregnated tape to cover the lupus lesion, or the intralesional injection of low doses of steroid. Widespread lupus lesions are frequently treated using hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) alone, or in combination with, a short burst of oral steroids. On very unusual occasions, unmanageable, cosmetically objectionable lupus lesions have been successfully treated with vitamin A derivatives (such as Tegison).

However, many Lupus sufferers (like my daughter) also experience hives (urticaria). Urticaria is a hot, raised rash which reflects the dysfunction of the internal (immune) system. Acute urticaria is often caused by an allergy to food or medication and can last between several hours and six weeks. Chronic urticaria is diagnosed if the rash persists for six weeks or longer, the underlying cause is then usually not due to food allergies. This condition (which can persist for many years) is due to the production of “auto-antibodies” which in turn attack specific Mast Cells in our skin and tissues causing an enormous release of histamine. Underlying thyroid diseases and autoimmune diseases such as Systemic Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis can provoke Chronic Urticaria or even Urticarial Vasculitis (a variant in which the lesions tend not to fluctuate but lead to skin discoloration). To treat hives, Keep the skin cool (we would rub my daughter down with ice cubes), avoid getting hot from exercise and take lukewarm baths. Resist the temptation to rub the itchy skin and apply copious amounts of moisturising creams to reduce dryness and itch. Avoid alcoholic drinks and foods containing additives (sodium benzoate, colourings and salicylate).
    I hope that this has been helpful. Let me know if you need more information.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

hey there! no worries a lot of us get the rash. I've had it since I was 10. I never thought anything of it until I was query-lupus. Then i found out that it is the butterfly rash. Don't get down about it. It doesn't hurt and mine usually gets mroe noticeable after being in the sun or working out. (although i stay out of the sun as much as possible, it makes me ill yuck). So to answer your question yes it can feel hot, yes the heat can bring it out more, and yes it can be a mild pink color. good luck

Thanks

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies! I know it's a little early to start being worried about all of this considering my blood test results haven't come in yet. I just find it very odd that I have the malar blush and several other symptoms. I hope I get the results soon.

Thanks everyone.