Thread: Combination of conditions

Thanks

Default Combination of conditions

Hi

I was diagnosed with Lupus Erthematosus about 10 yrs ago following skin biopsy of inflammations on my arm.
    I do not want to sound like a hypochondriac as i just get on with life and hold down a job. I even use the gym and swim 3 times per week. It just gets me down sometimes

I do however seem to have lots of conditions and not sure if they are linked.
    My conditions are:
    - Migraine - having bouts 1 or 2 times every week - for which i take Naramig
    - Stomach problems (wheat intolerance - not coeliac, IBS, constipation and i had a bout of duodenitis) for which i have a reduced wheat diet and take mebererine
    - arthritic joints - fingers, neck, back - for which i take 10mg of Amitriptyline each evening
    - gingivitis despite a very thorough dental regime of cleaning, flossing and using an interdental water jet
    - Lichen Planus in my gums - although not had any further eruptions in last few years
    - cramps in my feet - currently trying magnesium and calcium tablets - and these occur daily and interrupt my gym/swim sessions
    - high blood pressure - for which i take atenolol 10mg
    - Cold sores
    - Lethargy / tiredness and yet still always been a poor sleeper

Does anyone else have these conditions? If so, have you found anything that helps

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi and Welcome!

All the things that you have listed I also have issue with except the HBP. Migraines started for me in my early 20's, long before my SLE diagnosis was given. Most of the symptoms you have listed are symptoms of the SLE itself or conditions that like to coincide with it.

I don't have much else to offer in the way of alleviation but perhaps a candid talk with your dr if you don't feel all is under control well or that he/she might have further ideas to help with comfort.

Congrats on staying active and exercising still. You are not sounding like a hypochondriac and it is not a "giving in or up" to ask for help or slow down some and not push yourself if you are having a bad day or feel worse than normal.This is a serious illness and if you don't take it easy sometimes it will flare up and sometimes really bite you in the butt. So listen to your body-if it says rest,then rest.

Again welcome and be well.
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsLupus2007 For This Useful Post:

bmw (03-08-2013)

Thanks

Hi bmw,(great car btw)

All the symptoms you have listed are a part of Lupus ( or other autoimmune diseases), some of us have all of them and some more, some of us have some of them.
    There is really no tips on what would help, some of us get help from a certain drug and others don't.
    For instance most people here are on Plaquenil and get a relief from this med, it did nothing for me.
    What you have to do, is work closely with your rheumatologist and figure out, what would be helpful to you.
    Going to the gym is a good thing, but only if you don't overdo it, swimming is always good, no pressure on the joints.
    Somebody will be along soon,to give you their advise.
    BTW, welcome to WHL.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

bmw (03-08-2013)

Thanks

I mention this a lot, but it applied for me: Get your thyroid thoroughly checked, and get your B12 level checked.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

bmw (03-09-2013), jolynnhughes (03-11-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Every one of those can be related to Lupus. IF they are it is a sign that your lupus is more active than you think. Just because you may not see outward effects doesn't mean the disease isn't messing with you internally. It is very important that you mention all of these to your doctor so he/she can decide what needs to be threated and to see if you are having mild flares that may be causing internal damage.

It is great that you have been able to go on with your life but always take this disease seriously and keep an eye on it to make sure you are able to continue doing that. I made the mistake of ignoring mine for too long and allowed it to do damage that can't be undone.
    Keep us posted
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

ta - have had thyroid checked and was borderline then when rechecked was fine. Not sure about B12 tho x