Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Lupus genetic???

Thanks

My half-brother has Dermatomyositis, which is an autoimmune disorder. I have a few cousins with thyroid issues, but none with SLE, Sjogren's or Raynaud's.

My middle son also has Raynaud's.

Thanks

in my case yes i would say there is a genenetic factor my mother has it. i have a severe case. and my eldest daughter has it just mild . and my youngest the rhuemi says is on borderline could go either way so she needs regular tests.

Thanks

I recently got diagnosed with lupus in February, and my sister was also diagnosed with lupus prior 7 years ago. She's also a member of this website too and introduced me to it. I wouldn't doubt that it's genetic, because me and my sister both have it and both got it around the same age. I don't know if anyone else in my family has had lupus, but i think my grandma may have had it and also my dad's aunt. I hope this helped!

Thanks

I wasn't aware of any family history of lupus. My girlfriend's mother had lupus with severe sx when we were in high school, and 45 years later is still living. My girlfriend was just diagnosed 5 years ago, though she had Raynauds ever since I knew her. In my family, there appears to be auto-immune disease in my sisters- Older sister has peripheral neuropathy, which we believe is auto-immune in nature, and an aunt and a cousin also had that. My younger sister has psoriasis, and was recently diagnosed with autonomic neuropathy which her doctor says is auto-immune.
    It is really interesting to me how my lupus emerged after I contracted norovirus on a cruise. It brewed for a year and a half before I was diagnosed.