Thread: Is Lupus genetic???

Hybrid View

Thanks

Cool Is Lupus genetic???

I was wondering, if you have a close family member with Lupus, what are the chances of another person in the family having Lupus???
    I have a sister with Lupus.

Anyone have a family member with lupus also?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I cannot answer that question but wish I could. I'd like to know if my children have more of a potential to have Lupus since I have it. HOWEVER, coincidenc? My half sister on my mom's side has Myasthenia Gravis. She is 60 years old (I'll be 50 this month) and she was diagnosed back in 1975. I don't know if my mother had any autoimune diseases as she died in 2011 and refused to take care of herself much less get a check up. The only thing I know for sure about her is that she had untreated extremely high blood pressure (thank you drug store machines) and ultimately died from stroke
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

Carlene (03-05-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

The answer is yes and no. Yes, there is a generic factor.having a relative with the an AI disease does put you at greater risk HOWEVER it doesn't mean you will get it. Scientist also believe it takes an environmental factor (virus, chemical, etc) to "turn on" the disease so to speak. There is so much we don't know about the disease but we do know there is a genetic factor as well as other factors. We just haven't figured out how all of the pieces fit together yet
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Carlene (03-05-2013), SleepyInSeattle (03-05-2013)

Thanks

There is so much to learn about this disease, it can make you're head swim. I hope I can get a diagnosis soon.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

My mother has Lupus. She was diagnosed about 20 years ago. I was diagnosed with SLE in 2004.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

Carlene (03-05-2013)

Thanks

I thought I had read it somewhere. I think if i'm right the website said, "...if you have a close relative with Lupus you're 10 times more likely to have lupus over someone who has no family history of the disease."

Thanks

My mother was diagnosed with Lupus in 2003. She was later diagnosed with ALS in 2009 and just recently passed away.

I was diagnosed with Lupus last year.

My dr. said there is a genetic trait to it and that my kids could test positive but if they aren't exhibiting symptoms then theres no point to treat it. Something just triggers the disease inside of us.