Thread: lupus vs mixed connective tissue disease

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default lupus vs mixed connective tissue disease

So my rheum hinted that he thought things pointed at lupus, today i saw someone else in the practice and she said she would say mixed connective tissue disease (mctd).

She's wanting to put me on plaquenil and gave me Vimovo and Duexis.

What is the difference really, between sle and mctd? Isn't it better to have lupus than a mixed bag? Is mctd just a catch all for "no clue?"

Thanks

Just my opinion, and I fer sure ain't "medical" or "professional", but... It probably takes as long to get a "true" mctd diagnosis as it does one for sle, since you're talking about eliminating all sorts of almost similar ai diseases. MCTD is like a combination of RA, SLE, Raynaud's & Sjogrens, etc., but not the full-blown version of most of them, and it seems that there are as many opinions of what exactly mctd is, as there are rheumatologists' groups. It's a relatively new name for ai disease. The kidneys are usually not involved. Other than that, it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc..., but doesn't have enough evidence to call it lupus. I was told I had that by two different docs over the years, and told by a couple others that "that's ridiculous". ymmv. As to whether it's a catch-all for "no clue", I'd lean more to "interim or intermediate diagnosis that allows for identifying and treating a given disease condition." ahem... but they do want to treat with meds in an attempt to lessen its impact on you. I'm familiar with plaq, but not the other two.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

knxgrl (03-06-2013)

Thanks

I'm a case where MCTD was an interim diagnossis. I was originally diagnosed with MCTD when I first went to the rheumatologist; it wasn't until I reported a few more symptoms that I hadn't figured were related (pleurisy) and a more pronounced sun sensitivity showed up that I got it "narrowed" down to SLE by my second rheumy. He did say that from the first doctor's notes, he was hedging towards lupus but was being conservative. Treatment for me was the same, though -- start on Plaquenil and prescribe prednisone for flares.

Thanks

as long as they treat as they go, i don't really care how long it takes them. however, it would make my life MUCH easier if they would give me some sort of dx for when i have to explain to professors or my boss why i couldn't meet a deadline or why i sucked on a project or why it took me so long to type a 15 page proposal without people looking at me like im a lazy hypochondriac.

Thanks

redstring:
    that's what i'm getting; the plaq and pred for flares. the other two are just NSAIDS. the reason doc 1 is thinking sle is the positive ana, rip and anti-smith. doc 2 thinks it's broader bc of my scaly eye rashes and symptoms of sjogrens and reynauds.

Thanks

Pay attention to the symptoms, and if you can remember, do a daily diary (forgot mine again today, dadblameit...) of your symptoms. Take the notes with you to the doc. Take pictures of your rashes, etc., and show those to the docs. I say that, because like a lot of other lupus patients, I've got "secondary" versions of all sorts of other irritating ai diseases, which for me includes psoriasis, sjogrens & raynauds, among others. My eyes will do some really weird "scales" (the one time, I was very "biblical" looking, almost like lizard eyelids, only red & purple, not green). I've had scratched corneas, etc. from the junk. Sjogren's involves much more than just the eyes and mouth saliva glands though, so be sure and educate yourself about it. I don't notice the reynauds as much as I used to, but probably because of all the other weirdness... lol - |;^)
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

knxgrl (03-08-2013)

Thanks

Theres this misconception about MCTD. It is given when there are antibodies that are positive for multiple diseases along with symptoms from several diseases. Its not usually a first dx, then backed out of and said its something else. When doctors aren't sure which disease you have because your positive for so many different things, and have symptoms from several diseases but not enough for a specific diagnosis of any of them you usually get an UDCT dx. Once more symptoms show up from a specific disease you will get a diagnosis for that. Doctors aren't sure yet if MCTD is a disease all on its own, or a mixture of several overlapping autoimmune diseases. It does however have its own antibody, RNP. People with symptoms of several diseases along with a positive RNP usually get a MCTD diagnosis.
    "A bad cold wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the advice of our friends."~ Kin Hubbard

Diagnosed: SLE, Raynauds, Interstitial Lung Disease, GERD, Myositis, Vasculitis, Fibromyalgia, Possible Sjogrens.
    Medications: 400mg Plaquenil, 2000mg Cellcept, 60mg Nifedipine, Nitroglycerin Patch, 20mg Prilosec, Trazadone, 8mg Medrol, 81mg Asprin.

My old profile on here http://forum.wehavelupus.com/member.php?22042-ritzbit

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzbit2 For This Useful Post:

steve.b (03-24-2013)