Thread: Hair color and highlights

Thanks

Default Hair color and highlights

So this is a strange question, but I've always highlighted and colored my hair. No problems. 18 mos ago it started falling out, etc - you know the drill - I went to get it done at a high-end salon and some sections of my hair didn't hold the dye AT ALL. (i'm naturally dark blond, starting to get grays here and there, and go lighter with highlights to keep damage at a minimum). But the main problem I'm having is that the last 2 times i retouched my highlights, even after 45 minutes, it was like i didn't do a thing! They didn't take at all!!! PS> I'm currently on no medications

Do any of you have this problem or am i crazy??
    Last edited by knxgrl; 02-28-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knxgrl View Post
    So this is a strange question, but I've always highlighted and colored my hair. No problems. 18 mos ago it started falling out, etc - you know the drill - I went to get it done at a high-end salon and some sections of my hair didn't hold the dye AT ALL. (i'm naturally dark blond, starting to get grays here and there, and go lighter with highlights to keep damage at a minimum). But the main problem I'm having is that the last 2 times i retouched my highlights, even after 45 minutes, it was like i didn't do a thing! They didn't take at all!!! PS> I'm currently on no medications

Do any of you have this problem or am i crazy??
    Is it the same hairstylist both times? Because if it is then someone isn't doing there job right.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

ItsLupus2007 (02-28-2013), knxgrl (03-01-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree with Mica because the only way it wouldn't hold color is if it had been completely bleached like bottle blonde white-even then it will usually hold the color at least until washing as there is no pigmentation left in the hair itself.
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

Thanks

Okay, so let me get this straight, you're a natural dark blonde and because you have some "natural highlighting" you are retouching your roots and then putting highlights in? If this is the case, depending on how much "natural highlighting" is there you need to have a certain amount of a pigment covering color in your mixture. I am a hair dresser and have been in the business for about 17 years. It's hard to explain. Might be the wrong kind of color for your base, i.e. cream, or gel. A color with highlights you should be able to get at least 6 weeks out of your color. I wouldn't probably do your highlights every time you go. Try every other time. And depending on how light you like your highlights, it shouldn't take 45 min. to lighten. On my color/highlights, the highlights are maybe on for 10 to 15 min. You can inbox me if you have other questions. Sorry guys, when it comes to hair, gotta jump in. Lol!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leahc For This Useful Post:

knxgrl (03-01-2013)

Thanks

it's dark blond (not colored) and then i have framed highlights (colored). all of the root area is virgin hair. everything underneath is virgin hair. when i got sick i stopped coloring it bc a) it was falling out so bad the shower stopped up once a week and b) bc i was too drained to care about it. lately i had it cut off around chin length, leaving natural uncolored hair. so i decided since it's so thin now and i look so washed out - time to highlight and brighten it up. i leave them on the maximum length in the directions bc if i take them out too early they're very, very brassy.