Thread: Plaquenil questions

Thanks

Default Plaquenil questions

I've been prescribed Plaquenil for over a year now. I haven't always been great at taking the meds but have been taking it more-or-less steadily from last May through December and then got lazy about taking my meds again. I'm taking my meds again but to be honest, I've never noticed much of a change from when I was taking Plaquenil to before I was taking it. I'm not sure if I should bring it up to the rheumy considering that there have been weeks that I've forgotten to take it. WWYD?

Thanks

There was a time when I believed Plaquenil wasn't helping me either and I stopped taking it. Big mistake! About six months later, I was dragging patootie and couldn't figure out why. My rheumy suggested I resume the Plaquenil, which I've done, and noticed an improvement after a couple of months.

Remember that it takes a while to see the effects of Plaquenil and if you aren't consistent in taking it, it'll take even longer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BonusMom For This Useful Post:

tgal (02-26-2013)

Thanks

I agree with what BonusMom said, but I'd also add that you should be ABSOLUTELY HONEST with your Rheumy. S/he can't treat you effectively if s/he doesn't know what's really going on.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going in and saying "I don't know if the Plaqenil is helping or not - to be honest, I have been finding it hard to remember to take consistently!"

Many, if not MOST people find it difficult to keep up with a daily medication regime, even of it's only one med. There's just something in us that hates that sort of thing...I am sure your Rheum has seen it may times before, and may have good tips for you. And if it really ISN'T working, you guys can find something else to help you!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

MARITZA8667 (04-03-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyInSeattle View Post
    ...... you should be ABSOLUTELY HONEST with your Rheumy......
    your true health depends on honesty
    you need to talk openly about what you do and dont take.

medication does not work the same for everyone.
    sometimes we need to change or alter it
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Thanks

A big nod in agreement with what others have said.

Don't think I'm trying to convince you to stay with something that might not be working.

I have to question though - if you haven't been taking it regularly, no matter that you've been "on it" for months, then I don't think you can judge it fairly at all. "More or less" steadily and missing it "weeks at a time"? When I have skipped it (ran out and thought I didn't need it because it "wasn't doing anything") or decreased dose (experiment a couple of years ago to see if I could get by on less) it took me several weeks to get back to feeling good again after the pain I got myself into from skipping/reducing it. So if you've not kept a steady level in your system all this time, it doesn't surprise me that you can't tell much difference. It's an unusual drug and while it does stay in your system long periods of time, it isn't as straightforward as that. Sure, it's there, but it's there at a much lower level than if you're taking it as you're supposed to.

Best,
    KC

Hm. Upon review, that isn't so much a question as a statement. :P Anyway, I hope you find what works for you. I know it's hard to be consistent if you're not accustomed to taking daily meds. It is in your best interest to become accustomed to it when dealing with this illness, whether it's this med or another. The ups and downs of some of these drugs will be a challenge otherwise. A lot of doctors will prescribe, for example, anti-depressants (for pain) which will give you all kinds of grief if you miss doses or skip several days or quit suddenly.
    Last edited by KCat; 02-27-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added info and clarification

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

It is especially true that you won't tell a difference with a drug like plaquenil if you haven't taken it consistently because it takes 3-6 months to get the full effects
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I've gone from a cantankerous fool to a crusty old forgetful man inside of the last 3 years, and I have to set my phone to "ring" me up when it's time for meds... |;^)
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    I've gone from a cantankerous fool to a crusty old forgetful man inside of the last 3 years, and I have to set my phone to "ring" me up when it's time for meds... |;^)
    I don't (usually) have a problem remembering the morning and evening meds, but the mid-day ones that I just started are an entirely diffferent story. That's a great, idea, jmail about setting a timer on my phone--thanks!