Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation issues?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Constipation issues?

I know this is a subject that not many people like to talk about, but I was just wondering if anyone else has issues with constipation?

I never have before, but recently it's been really bad. To the point where I have serious discomfort and my belly seems swollen.

i've tried eating different foods and i've tried laxatives but even they don't work sometimes!

helppp!
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Thanks

Hi Ashley,

This could be a side effect from your meds. When I take any meds, like painpills or even coughsyrup with codein, I get very constipated. They say to drink alot of water, eat lots of fiber, but nothing helps, except for stopping those meds and a couple of days later, I am fine.
    You may want to check on yuor meds and see if any of them have constipation listed as a side effect.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

if it is just a medication thing......
    coloxyl with senna may help.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve.b View Post
    if it is just a medication thing......
    coloxyl with senna may help.
    That product actually works quite well, but don't take any more than directed...

...or you could end up having Close Encounters of the Turd Kind.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

steve.b (02-26-2013), tgal (02-26-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

another of those marvelous rob moments.....
    thank you
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lol Rob sure lightens awkward conversations. I have trouble too and always had since I was little. I start to try different methods after like 3 days of well no number 2. I have discovered for me that pickle juice really clears me up and ice cream with frozen bananas. I know it's weird but it works for me and I haven't found a med to help that I like but i'm going to try that coloxyl with senna that Steve suggested.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

at this point, i'm willing to try anything! it's such an uncomfortable problem, and an even more uncomfortable thing to bring up to the doc.
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You kind of have to stay ahead of the problem so to speak. Remember adding fiber while in the throes of a constipation issue is likely to worsen things and you mustmustmust stay well hydrated now and once you get back on track. Even those little fiber gummies they sell now say not to eat to many or they will cause constipation because they are pulling so much fluid.

If it gets worse or you want to go at it hard core then there is always milk of magnesia or the red or green laxatives they sell at the store for severe issues. They are in glass bottles I think they are called magnesium citrate. They will make you go. They are what the Dr recommended for my gfather who had horrid issues with constipation due to meds/reg lack of exercise because of health issues and trouble walking/and bowel trouble on top of all of it.

If he didn't stay regular he would get impacted within 4-5 days,stop eating which would make it worse and have to go in and be physically cleaned out. He offered one poor nurse at the hospital an extra $20 on the side if she would "Really get in there good and get him cleaned out" *LOL*

My Mom looked like she wanted to die when he said it,the nurse and my gfather just looked at each other and she assured him she would do her best before we all burst out laughing.

He drank a prescription powder mixed with water every day(flavorless) and took stool softeners daily. As I said he used the magnesium often to avoid hospital visits and it will make you go. It is with the Pharmacy supplies and I often see it on the bottom shelves with the alcohol wipes/gloves I think just because its glass. They have it on the dollar aisle too.

It may cause stomach cramps as the milk of magnesia likely will too. I once accidentally drank most of a bottle of MoM thinking it was mylanta and trying to help an upset tummy due to taking Senoket all week after an enema before childbirth. I wondered why in the world my stomach kept getting worse and worse,rolling,gurgling,cramping,churning as the day went on. I would just shrug and down more Mylanta. By that evening when I ended up on the toilet for close to 4 hours it was discovered that I had not been calming my tummy w/mylanta but adding to my woes by chugging Mom like a frat boy chugging beer at a party.

Not fun. Not fun AT ALL.
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

Thanks

hi i have MAJOR issues with dealing with constipation...half my meds constantly make me close up...have you tried miralax? sometimes it helps me and other times it doesnt

Thanks

omg magnesium citrate is my best friend lol!! id rather take the cherry flavor than the lemon