Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toe Raynaud's

Thanks

Default Toe Raynaud's

Hi folks. Tapping into WHL's collective wisdom here to ask what you do for Raynaud's phenomenon on one's toes. I have never had Raynaud's in my hands, despite doctors insisting that I must have it because my nailfold capillaries are so out of whack. But recently, I noticed I had chilblains on a few on my toes. But, I don't often look at my feet, so it was just recently that I noticed my toes and part of my food are often either completely white or sort of purply-blue. I assume this is Raynaud's.

I am going to talk to my doctors about this, but I am curious what those of you with Raynaud's do as home treatment or prevention. I already wear warm, wooly socks, but my toes are blue almost all day! I feel like this can't be good for them, so I'm curious what you all do for Raynaud's prevention, especially in your feet.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Derrie View Post
    Hi folks. Tapping into WHL's collective wisdom here to ask what you do for Raynaud's phenomenon on one's toes. I have never had Raynaud's in my hands, despite doctors insisting that I must have it because my nailfold capillaries are so out of whack. But recently, I noticed I had chilblains on a few on my toes. But, I don't often look at my feet, so it was just recently that I noticed my toes and part of my food are often either completely white or sort of purply-blue. I assume this is Raynaud's.

I am going to talk to my doctors about this, but I am curious what those of you with Raynaud's do as home treatment or prevention. I already wear warm, wooly socks, but my toes are blue almost all day! I feel like this can't be good for them, so I'm curious what you all do for Raynaud's prevention, especially in your feet.

Thanks!
    I have the same problem, I have lost like 3 toe nails because of it. I wear fuzzy socks and a regular pair too but it doesn't always work. I find at night I have to use an electric blanket or a heating pad just for my feet.

Thanks

I am the same way - my Raynauds is primarily in my toes. A few years ago it got really bad, and I had these nasty lesions on some of them - kinda like diabetic lesions. Basically looked (and felt) like the tips of my toes were rotting off! Very zombie-like, LOL...it'd be funny if it weren't so painful.

I have learned to use ONLY Smartwool socks (summer and winter) and often change them a couple times a day, to make sure my feet stay dry and clean. In the winter when things get bad, I have a prescription for nitroglycerine cream, and that helps quite a bit.

It also seems like it hasn't been as bad since my doc put me on one (regular-size 325mg) aspirin per day.

Hope that helps....

Thanks

Thanks, y'all. This is good info. I'm already a Smartwool sock devotee, so that should help. I am going to try to minimize my time outdoors, too. In the snowy north, subzero days are common, and I'm thinking the frigid temperatures are not good for my poor, blue toes.

And does anyone else notice that their toes or fingers are just sort of blue for the majority of the time? I have brief episodes of the white and the red, but most of the time, my toes are just blue. Is this similar to others' experiences with Raynaud's?

Thanks

I get it in my toes and the balls and heels of my feet. Very uncomfortable.
    My doctor has me on Adalat XL for Raynauds, but it is still troublesome. I wear extra warm sock and use charcoal foot warmer packs. They can be reused if you put them in a sandwich bag after each use.

Thanks

Have you tried Muckboots? They're AMAZING in cold temps...I work outdoors and use the big workboots, but they also make some more shoe-like styles that are pretty cute and could be worn in the city and/or a casual workplace.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

my feet and toes are usually the main parts that are effected by raynauds.
    i take medication from my doctor.......
    but one of the best things i have is a pulse stimulator, (curculation booster)(tens machine).
    there is many different brands on the market.
    it is a machine that you put your feet onto, and it passes micro electric pulses through your feet.
    this stimulates the muscles to flex, thereby increasing blood flow.
    the machine i have has attachments so you can place elctodes onto your body, or gloves for your hands.

i have added a picture below.
    http://www.chemistaustralia.com.au/p...ooster-v3.html
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Thanks

Ok I dont know what a smart wool sock is and I also have Raynauds and my feet are Cold 24/7 as well and BLUE, I work in a deli and it's awful somedays Ill go hours without being able to feel my feet at all. I use feet warmers, it's costly but they really do help me just dont leave them in too long as sometimes I dont realize how hot they are and have left them there for a long time ... I also considered the heat socks but they need a D battery and Im not walking around with that sliding down my leg.. The other thing I was thinking of getting and if I do ill let you know they are very expesive about 200.00 and also rechargeable and when I think of the money I spend on the feet wrmers that are use a throw away it wouldnt take long to spend 200.00 on those, but when it comes to the rest of my life with this if it helps me keep my toes I do about anything .....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndysMamaBear View Post
    Ok I dont know what a smart wool sock is and I also have Raynauds and my feet are Cold 24/7 as well and BLUE, I work in a deli and it's awful somedays Ill go hours without being able to feel my feet at all. I use feet warmers, it's costly but they really do help me just dont leave them in too long as sometimes I dont realize how hot they are and have left them there for a long time ... I also considered the heat socks but they need a D battery and Im not walking around with that sliding down my leg.. The other thing I was thinking of getting and if I do ill let you know they are very expesive about 200.00 and also rechargeable and when I think of the money I spend on the feet wrmers that are use a throw away it wouldnt take long to spend 200.00 on those, but when it comes to the rest of my life with this if it helps me keep my toes I do about anything .....
    AMB-- SmartWool makes socks from merino wool that are non-itchy and warm and stay dry. There's an online outlet of sorts called Sierra Trading Post that always has good deals on SmartWool: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sma...31/?perPage=96

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

I know this is going to sound strang but I found it very painful when I got in the warm tub. The temp. change would really hurt my toes on the days my Raynauds was acting up (and sometimes I didn't know it was acting up until I went to take a bath). I found a trick that helped this issue quite a bit. Instead of filling the tub and then getting in the water I now get in the tub (on my feet) before turning on the water. It allows my feet to adjust to the water more slowly and hence they warm up more slowly which makes it less painful. After the water begins to fill I then sit down and adjust the temp to what I want it to be and stay in as it fills. It really has made a big difference in that part of my day.

I am a southern US gal so I always ran around bare footed. Those days are long over. Although I don't have severe Raynaud's like many (no blisters) I wear socks and some wonderful, warm house shows with thick soles when at home. They allow me to go in and out without having to put on and take off shoes just to run to the garage for laundry.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~