Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamins or supplements anyone?

Thanks

Default Vitamins or supplements anyone?

My rhuemy and gp together have me on supplements as well as plaquenil and celexa. They help quite a bit. Vitamin D cuz I can't go out in the sun, b12 for energy, fish oil for joints, melatonin for sleep. The fish oil and melatonin are a huge help. My joints still hurt, but are much less stiff with fish oil, and melatonin gives me a great nights sleep with out the nasty side effects of scripts.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I take the script 50,000 iu vit d when I was doing OTC and it did not help.

I still take multivitamins but I have also added magnesium at the suggestion of my rheumy when I started having weird leg issues also accompanied by severe pain.You actually could see the skin ripple and move around.Kind of like Alien but no extraterrestrial child was bursting forth due to my great disappointment.As at least at the end of labor the pain ends

The magnesium helped tons.No more ET children spewing from my shins.

Be well
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

i have been thinking hard about answering this.

different people react very differently to the same suppliment.
    i used to take magnesium.....
    but due to upset bowels no longer do.
    i also used to take vitamin c.....
    these also are not good for ibs.

please think seriously about what "extras" we put into our bodies.
    if you are lacking something.......
    then you need it.
    but if it is just to give you a boost. eg boroca in the morning, please be careful.

talk to your chemist about the side effects, and cross reaction with your meds.
    a daily multi vitamin might be good for "jo normal"......
    but it may not be good for us and our medications.

i do take vit d, folic acid and fish oils, all with doctors requests.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree with Steve wholeheartedly.Pleasepleaseplease make your Drs aware of what you would LIKE to supplement with and do not do so until you get their approval to make sure that there is not going to be a medication reaction.All I have added have been per Dr order.

Just because it is a "vitamin" does not mean it cannot and will not cause issue.

Everyone is different but please make your dr aware of what you are doing not after the fact but before as some supplements can really cause issue with our bodies and with the meds we take.
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

Thanks

My rheumy is a firm believer in vitamins and minerals and had me take all kinds of supplement.
    From Vit-D, Co-Qu 10, fishoil, Vit-B, Vit-C and many more. I took all of that for a year, because he was convinced, that it would eliminate or better my pain. It changed nothing, except that my wallet got alot smaller, they cost alot of money.
    Now I only take Vitamin D, because that is the only thing, that is always low.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Absolutely work with dr on supplements!! Would never take anything without my dr knowing.

Thanks

I take a B12 vitamin OTC and a MultiVitamin. I don't take them daily because of my plaquenil and Celebrex. I love my Celebrex but I try not to take that daily. I don't want to over load my system with multiple pills and I am just getting started. I have recently started the Mediterranean diet to help naturally with my arthritis. Does anyone have random muscle aches almost similar to a Charlie horse?

Thanks

I am on a restricted diet and a number of different supplements recommended by my Rheum and my Neuro. They have helped me a lot.

I second the notion that you should not change your diet or add ANY supplements without talking to your doctor about it first. Some supplements will affect your blood tests - especially liver tests, which are crucial.

There have been supplements I wanted to try that my doc advised me against, for good reason - I learned a lot by discussing them with him. There have also been some that I really wanted to try despite the fact that he didn't think they'd do me any good...we had that discussion, he kinda shrugged and more or less let me know he thought they were a waste of money, but if I wanted to try them, go for it...and I DO feel like some of them help me.

Bottom line - do your own research. If you want to try something, you should have a chance to try it - but remember that there's no CURE for this stuff (unfortunately), natural or otherwise....and having an HONEST, TRUSTING relationship with your Rheum is the single MOST important thing in ensuring that you make progress in treating this awful disease. You and your Rheum might not always agree on things, but you have ot be grown-ups and be honest about things over the years. If you cannot have that relationship with your Rheumy, find a new one.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

steve.b (02-22-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyInSeattle View Post
    ....... There have been supplements I wanted to try that my doc advised me against, for good reason - I learned a lot by discussing them with him. There have also been some that I really wanted to try despite the fact that he didn't think they'd do me any good...we had that discussion, he kinda shrugged and more or less let me know he thought they were a waste of money, but if I wanted to try them, go for it...and I DO feel like some of them help me.

Bottom line - do your own research. .............
    very good comments, thank you
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (02-23-2013)

Thanks

Studies have shown some positive benefits of particular vitamins/minerals for some SLE sufferers. Omega 3's/ fish oils in high doses for example. Also, there are many vitamin deficiencies that seem to pop up along with SLE symptoms. Some have found benefits in taking supplements to try to get these vitamins back to norm. I had some tests done (before the SLE diagnosis) that showed low levels/minor deficiency in Vitamin D, selenium and manganese, and all of these are typical with SLE. Vitamin D and selenium supplementation have some some positive effects in testing.

I agree with what the others have said- be honest with your doctor with what OTC stuff you are taking- you don't want any side effects.