Thread: Can I just say...OW OWW OWWW OUCH F$@! OWWWWWW!

Thanks

Default Can I just say...OW OWW OWWW OUCH F$@! OWWWWWW!

Stuuuuuuuuuupid nerve pain in my face. I've had it every now and then for as long as I remember but usually far milder than this. It started yesterday evening. I can't even stand my hair brushing against the skin. It goes right to my mouth and now it's spreading to my eye. OWW!!

On top of that, I had one of those migraines again last night..well doc reckons they're migraines but I don't get a really bad headache, just super spaced out and half my face goes numb (the opposite side to the nerve pain unfortunately!) and it feels like someone is squashing my head/face.

Otherwise I don't feel too bad! Joint pain isn't too much of a bother today, just my muscles & fatigue.

Any good home remedies for nerve pain in the face? I want to put a cold flannel on it but can't stand anything touching it. Pain killers not touching it.

Raaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhh!!! (think I've gone nuts) :-D
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sounds like a trimengal neuralgia flare up. If it runs from the temple down under the cheek area thats likely what it is. If I have issue it is usually when I have been grinding/clenching my teeth. Often trying to open your mouth really far almost like a snake unhinging its jaws will allow it to release some room. I cant even touch my cheek when it bothers me. I try to get in front of the worst of it by ibuprofen or aspirin and a cold rice bag no matter how bad it feels. Try not to keep your teeth/jaw clenched even if you have to keep the tip of your tongue in there to keep them separated.

It is horribly painful and if a full blown case often has to be neuro treated and I think they usually use neurontin.At least that's what my oral surgeon told me after mine started when I had a back tooth extracted. When the issue started he went right back in thru the stitches from the extraction as I was 3 days out from surgery and found the nerve was mashing up against bone and forming scar tissue. He ground some of the bone off but it started again after a while.

Mine is not debilitating some is and people are disabled by it. Mine seems to get worse like I said when I grind/clench my teeth,get ear/sinus issue going on. Seems once all that settles down it does too. I can always feel a small discomfort when scratching or putting on makeup but not bad enough I can't stand to touch it at all.

Here is a link http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001751/

Hope you can get some relief soon.
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsLupus2007 For This Useful Post:

Shine (02-10-2013)

Thanks

I suffer from complicated migraines, but fortunately, I don't have this particular malady.

I believe Rob and Tgal have had equally nasty bouts with TN.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks

It looks like it could be TN. It runs right from the temple and it's going under my cheek bone almost to the corner of my mouth. It's spread now and it's around my eyebrow/eyesocket. It is manageable at the minute, just bloody painful and sore, it feels like I have burned myself. Any face movement, no matter how small intensifies it. I think I'll be brave and get something cold on it when I get home from work, it feels like it needs cooling.

I've never had it like this before. I'm trying to remember when I first had it. Sometime in the last year I think. It feels familiar because I get a lot of nerve pain when I have very severe coldsores, but this is different.

At the rheumy next week, suppose it's just another thing to add to the list of things to mention eh!
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I hope all went well for you and for the love of well whatever you hold dearest if ANY sores/blisters pop up anywhere near there and you have had chickenpox please go to the dr ASAP and make absolutely sure that it is NOT shingles.They can occur on the face and in the eyes,are excruciatingly painful and the quicker you get your dose of herpes meds *smiles* the quicker they will start to clear and leave less likelihood of residual pain.The blisters resemble coldsores.

They are herpes zoster,chickenpox (herpes varicella) and coldsores (herpes simplex) if you have had chickpox you can break out from shingles.They will follow a nerve path and you feel like you want to remove your flesh.

I know I have had them twice in less than a year and in different sites.They are not fun and that is the worlds largest understatement.If no sores develop it is likely TN and thats no fun either.At least the shingles will go away although it often leaves residual nerve pain for quite some time and in some cases years.I just think its funny to call the rheumy and tell him I have herpes *smiles*
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.