Thread: Lymphoma!?!

Thanks

Default Lymphoma!?!

hey there!
    I was just wondering if anyone here has or knows someone with Lupus AND Lymphoma. I recently had extremely large bumps on and behind my neck, I couldn't get in to see a doctor in time, they have gone down now but lasted two weeks. I don't know much about lymphoma, could someone please fill me in? thanks a bunch huns! -Bianca-

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Bianca :lol:
    Are you taking steroids, such as prednisone? Your lumps on the back of your neck may be associated with that. In addition to causing weight gain, prednisone leads to a redistribution of body fat to places that are undesirable, particularly the face, back of the neck, and abdomen.
    In any case, here is an article that I found about Lymphoma and autoimmune diseases:
    Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
    By David Douglas

NEW YORK OCT 31, 2005 (Reuters Health) - Patients with autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis and Sjogren's syndrome appear to be at greater risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL), researchers report in the October issue of the Journal of Rheumatology.

"There has been an increasing incidence of NHL over the last 20 years which is unexplained," lead investigator Dr. Janet Cuttner told Reuters Health. "We found an increased incidence of NHL in patients with a prior history of autoimmune disease."

To examine possible relationships, the researchers questioned 278 patients with NHL, who had been seen over a 10-year period, about prior autoimmune disease. They were compared with a control group of 317 patients who had other hematologic disorders.

In all, 13% of NHL patients had a prior autoimmune disease, compared to 5% of controls. Moreover, 20% of women with NHL had a history of autoimmune disease compared to 7% of women in the control group.

In addition, 56% of the NHL patients with autoimmune disease received immunosuppressive treatment compared to 38% of controls.

Overall, in comparing patients of the same sex and age, those with NHL were 2.6 times more likely to have had a prior history of autoimmune disease.

Patients with refractory autoimmune disease, said Dr. Cuttner, "are receiving immunosuppressive treatment in an effort to prevent disabling sequelae."

"Autoimmune disease occurs predominantly in women," she concluded, "some of whom are receiving potent immunosuppressive therapy, which may possibly increase their risk of developing NHL."

In an accompanying editorial, Drs. Sharon Chambers and David Isenberg of University College London note that although the researchers might have provided greater detail, "a dedicated attempt to study the link between cancer and autoimmune diseases is certainly a step in the right direction."

Thanks

thanks SaySusie. And no i am not on any steroid meds. Actually, i haven't taken any meds in a while because i want to see if it's better without them, and frankly it's the same with or without them (they're obviously not strong because i am trying to stay away from steroid meds, i'm only 18 and afraid of gaining a lot of weight. my BMI is already at 25-26.) Thank you so much again for the info, i will definately take that into consideration. -Bianca-

Thanks

Bianca everyone has lymph nodes that run near the back of the neck too. Sometimes if your body is fighting an infection (which may not be obvious to you) your lymph nodes can swell and be like that for a couple of weeks. It doesn't necessarily mean anything but if they continue to do that then I would see your doctor. Good Luck! :lol:

Thanks

Default yes, good luck Bianca

I'm sorry you are having such scary symptoms, and hope all is well.

Good luck!

Thanks

Hi! I only found this site earlier this week and I have smiled more since reading things on it than I have in a while.
    When I saw someone writing about lymphoma my heart lept!
    I ended up being diagnosed with Lupus SLE becuase Dr's thought I had Lymphoma.
    It all started with me getting mychoplasma pneumonia last october. I got real sick and they did a CT scan and found my lymphnodes were all swollen. Eventually over Christmas they took one out to have a look at and it was all clear of cancer cells.
    They did more scans and found out the lymphnodes were still swollen so they wrote down the list of symptoms and then came up with a thought that I might have an auto immune disease and they tested me for everything and Lupus is what it came out with.
    So after all of this dont worry about Lymphnodes. There job is to clear out used white blood cells so they swell up when they have to do a lot of this eg your immune system is working. As I understand it with Lupus your immune system works overtime so your Lymphnodes will swell up. It often takes months for mine to go down. Sometimes they are like marbles other times they are the size of eggs.
    The thing I find ironic is that the life expectancy with getting Lymphoma is exactly the same or even slightly better than it is with Lupus. I often find myself wondering whether I would have preferred to have that!

Hope that calms some of your fears.
    If you are really worried go and see your doctor, it is never worth the stress!

Thanks

It's so funny that when chatting on this site you learn so much and connect the dots about weird stuff that happened in your body even before you knew you had lupus.

For example, years ago (pre-lupus) I had this funny bump kind of beside my left breast, definitely below my armpit. They aspirated it, and said it was normal lymph tissue and that skinny people might just sometimes have lymph tissue that's more noticeable/protruded. But now, it seems clear that it was probably swollen due to some lupus reaction. I was so scared at the timt that I had breast cancer or something.

Hmmmmm.......
    Missy

Thanks

Yeah, same here. Although I was just diagnosed a few months ago, now that I think back, I have had several rounds of swollen lymph nodes and low grade fevers. I always wrote it off as a mild flu or something. Now I have to think it might have been lupus lurking in the background. LOL.