Thread: best replacement for Mobic / meloxicam

Thanks

Default best replacement for Mobic / meloxicam

Can anyone recommend what I should ask my rheum for next month when I see him? I've been on meloxicam for hip, ankle and wrist achiness for 2-3 months. It helps the stiffness but now it's gone from achiness to disruptive pain.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I used to take Daypro for a few years but this was prescribed by a PCP and rheumy changed me to vicoprofen not long after.If your Rheumy isnt anti narcotic vicoprofen is a good choice as it is hydrocodone/ibuprofen.

The only down side to the med is that it (AFAIK only still comes in 7.5/200 dosing 7.5 hydrocodone/200 ibuprofen.

The Daypro is a non-narcotic

I hope this helps some I usually use OTC tylenol,ibuprofen,Goody powders etc in addition to the prescribed meds.Just make sure dr is ok with you adding them and nothing interacts with your other stuff.
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsLupus2007 For This Useful Post:

knxgrl (02-09-2013)

Thanks

When I first started on the AI journey and was diagnosed with RA back in the early 90's, they'd put me on first one, then another nsaid med as the older one would seem to lose it apparent efficacy on me. I lost count how many different names of meds I used over the years. If it was available at the time, they'd try it. Most of what I took then has been pulled from the market... I'd get maybe 3-6 months out of them, and spent all sorts of money on the prescriptions. Celebrex is the one I was on the longest. They did keep joint damage down, but definitely didn't help my tummy. My suggestion would be similar to ItsLupus2007's, in that you should ask the doc, and see what they say. It might just be that a change in chemical composition to another nsaid would help you, like it used to do me. The vicodin-based meds definitely do the job, but if you have certain jobs, or don't like the narcotic affect, your choices are limited. If you do a hydrocodone med, don't forget about the constipation factor...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

knxgrl (02-13-2013)

Thanks

I take Lodine and it works very well. I took Mobic first, and it barely took the edge off. I'm on 500 mg. of Lodine twice a day. I still feel a little soreness on the bad days, but I manage well with it as long as I don't forget a dose.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I agree with jmail the constipation is definitely something you need to stay "ahead" of so to speak.

If you start like the fiber type meds or gummies make sure you consume enough water to actually allow them enough to pull it and do their job. If you just increase fiber (not diet) but added like I said the gummies or metamucil type meds and don't stay hydrated enough they can actually cause more problems incuding mild dehydration cause they are trying to leech all the water to divert to GI tract but its not there for them to take so they take it systemically.

It's best to try and make sure your diet is adequate then add the medicinal type things but under no circumstances allow yourself to get constipated as you will be miserable.At the first sign of difference in bowel issue do all in your power to correct it as it will only worsen with every pill taken.
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsLupus2007 For This Useful Post:

knxgrl (02-14-2013)

Thanks

His nurse called back today and he won't give me a replacement. I'll just trudge on through until my next appointment. Thank for the med ideas - I'll definitely take this list with me!