Thread: What do you do when you "overdo it"?

Thanks

Question What do you do when you "overdo it"?

Most of the time I take decent care of myself, get rest, etc...but every now and then I kind of succumb to the "Supermom" syndrome and waaaaaay overdo things. (Today was one of those days, and I am kicking myself because yesterday I felt pretty icky and I knew I was being stupid, I just couldn't seem to listen to my better judgment!!!!).

I got a decent night's sleep, went to work this morning, had half a cup of coffee, and then came home mid-day (I work part-time) and spent several hours doing heavy yardwork because FOR ONCE, it wasn't pouring rain, and the yard REALLY needed some attention. This evening, my muscles and joints are aching, but not in that pleasant way they should after exertion - I clearly got the inflammation process going and I know it's going to be bad for me. :-(

Sometimes it's just so hard to live within "reasonable" limitations!!!!!!

So what should I do? I need to take my methotrexate tonight, so I shouldn't take any Tylenol, etc. I guess I will take some extra Zyflammend and fish oil, since my doc said they're safe with the Mtx. Hopefully that will help. *sigh*.

Does anybody else deal with this? What do you do about it?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I do it all the time.I wake up and feel pretty good and decide to do a ton of things that i have put off because of not feeling well.

Like we need food and the children are wearing adult clothing around my frigid house because no one can operate the NASA engineered machine built for me that requires my DNA to start it on a cycle of washing *MAJOR EYE ROLL*the mysterious apparatus that you can actually load dishes into,add detergent and turn a knob and it somehow cleans them of debris?No on wants to know the secrets of operation of said machines or how to roll a grocery cart up and down aisles and add things you consume.

They all just cry that they are hungry,naked and on a diet of air and water because there are none of the magical gadgets that might hold anything here they would consume out of desperation.So silly me-I try to go to the Dr for a checkup as I have had the norovirus,go to the pharmacy(more germs) and then to the store(germs),come home unload everything,start wash,load dishes and catch up as it looks like my house has been hit by a tornado.

The yard?I dont do that.If I did it would likely involve a gas can,matches and wienies as that would be dinner too.I have yet to learn to space it out as I think "Holy crap-halfway decent day gogogogogogogogogogo" and not you are crazy for doing this as you have been on bedrest for the past week and are likely to feel like hell.So I am in the same boat as you.I always try to play catch up,swear I will never do it again and yet its almost like labor.You forget the pain after enough time passes and do it to yourself all over again.

I can just say I hope you can rest well tonight and dont suffer too many repercussions.

Be well.
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ItsLupus2007 For This Useful Post:

jmail (02-07-2013), SleepyInSeattle (02-06-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ItsLupus2007 View Post
    I do it all the time.I wake up and feel pretty good and decide to do a ton of things that i have put off because of not feeling well.

Like we need food and the children are wearing adult clothing around my frigid house because no one can operate the NASA engineered machine built for me that requires my DNA to start it on a cycle of washing *MAJOR EYE ROLL*the mysterious apparatus that you can actually load dishes into,add detergent and turn a knob and it somehow cleans them of debris?No on wants to know the secrets of operation of said machines or how to roll a grocery cart up and down aisles and add things you consume.

They all just cry that they are hungry,naked and on a diet of air and water because there are none of the magical gadgets that might hold anything here they would consume out of desperation.So silly me-I try to go to the Dr for a checkup as I have had the norovirus,go to the pharmacy(more germs) and then to the store(germs),come home unload everything,start wash,load dishes and catch up as it looks like my house has been hit by a tornado.

The yard?I dont do that.If I did it would likely involve a gas can,matches and wienies as that would be dinner too.I have yet to learn to space it out as I think "Holy crap-halfway decent day gogogogogogogogogogo" and not you are crazy for doing this as you have been on bedrest for the past week and are likely to feel like hell.So I am in the same boat as you.I always try to play catch up,swear I will never do it again and yet its almost like labor.You forget the pain after enough time passes and do it to yourself all over again.

I can just say I hope you can rest well tonight and dont suffer too many repercussions.

Be well.
    I swear this is like the best reply I have read yet. Oh that made me laugh.

All I can say is I hope I learned my lesson from over-doing myself because I am still paying off those hospital stays.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (02-06-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Is there anybody who at one time or another hasn't overdone it? Seriously, it happens. And we swear we won't let it happen again but we do. My husband just learned last summer how to use the clothes washer! I'm so proud of him! Now he does most of the laundry including hanging it out because he says the dryer wastes energy, whatever! It's getting done. Overdoing it? That was me every Saturday with housework unti I got clobbered with double pneumonia. Let me tell ya- not being able to breath very well will stop anyone from overdoing it! Maybe someday Ill learn the secret to pacing myself!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

We all overdo at one time or another. But isn't it good to feel normal for once. My day was Saturday. I felt great, got a lot accomplished. Made it to church and the store on Sunday, fixed my special pizza and did't even want to eat it. Came up to bed and sleep till it was time for the Superbowl. Watched the first quarter and said forget it and went back to bed and slept.

So much for this football fan's big game. But at least the "Ravens" won. Missed everything else.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonna For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

There are certain people in my home who allowed to do certain things.

The others like to mess up their "trial run" so badly that I am afraid to give them a second chance even though I suspect the oopsies were deliberate.You just have that fear at the back of your mind-I suspect it is mainly just laziness.

Sleepy hope you were able to rest last night and feel ok todyay.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsLupus2007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yesterday I drove for 2 hours (my poor arms) forgot to wear sunscreen anywhere other than my face (mega oops) climbed a stack of stairs to get a good view from a lighthouse (my poor legs) walked across sand (my poor feet) and then later walked up a lookout tower (my poor legs/buttocks.) Did I think I was normal or something?! I'm not actually feeling as rough as I expected...i'm actually going in to work today which I didn't think would happen when I was laying down to sleep last night...but I do feel rough. Proud of myself though, and my partner really enjoyed the day too. Roll on the weekend so I can sleep iiiiiiiinnnnnn!
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Shine For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Tuesday felt great had the day off thought time to clean. I went crazy the house looked great but I didn't. My hands and hips/groin were hurting so bad I wanted to cry. I went to bed at 530 I was out. I use to think god your lazy and I would here my grandma in my head and I would just keep pushing forward until I wanted to collapse. Naps well naps were for lazy people. This past year there were/are days I'm certain I will die if I don't sleep. Being a wife and mother and working we feel the need to do it all. With or without lupus I think it's in are DNA. I am learning to pace myself there is always tomorrow. I've learned if I don't pace myself I am the only one who pays for it. There have been a few times people have shown up unannounced and I have been horrified in the state of my house. In the end if the dog hair bothers them well then grab the broom. I don't live in filth lol I just have the sweetest golden retriever ever and he drops enough hair everyday to knit a sweater. Some days I'm to tired to sweep it up. I hope that you are feeling a bit better real soon.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tomcatsgirl For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (02-07-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I always say when I feel really bad and havent had time to clean that its the best time ever to have a "Hoarders" marathon come on tv.

You can watch tv,look around at your own house and realize its not that bad after all.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsLupus2007 For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (02-07-2013)

Thanks

No doubt!! AS I start coming out of the unseen prison of a flare (or maybe I haven't come out since my diag, still waiting on RA meds, on Plaq) I pick up, clean up, cook for a few days. But help me when it starts wrapping it's invisable, icey arms around my lungs (where mine starts once the butterfly lands)and today's mail is joined by now today's mail in the growing pile. And nothing looks good to eat, I have to take medication to create an appetite from another disorder. But I am diabetic so I nuke a bowl of granola with almond milk as the tummy is spiining in time with the head pounding. If the dish makes it to the sink great. If my ankles and feet still feel like they will shatter the bowl can stay. But as I wait for my RA tx to start (actemra infusions) things have gotten better. Because I over do it. My heart mind and soul heal. Especially after my only family, my brother, stops by, sees the garbage in bags to be taken out (apartment life) sees the things that I need hauled out or moved, knows I need help opening things, and asks me if I am saving the garbage for anything. I cannot even acknowledge that comment, along with lazy, never finish things, you guys have heard it all. Then they ask WHY don't we ask for help????

I know the main reason I over do it when I am 'ok' or not; limited calendar. Honey, screw this stuff, I have things to do and a life to love. It was 23 degrees, 35 in the barn, and I saw in my mind my death and the last thing I did in the vision was lie on the dreaded couch in the evil unrest of lupus. You are fatigued to a point of feeling like you are full of poison but sleep does not relieve it. My body constantly has cramps and twitches, I try to warm my nose and the blocks of ice that were feet. But I am pissed. I have a wonderful dance partner of 15 years, Max, and I find my sanity in him, all of my life. Being a life coach and having walked a 12 foot row of 2,000 degree coals six times with no burns I will get up, walk thru the ankle screaming pain, the cramps and headache.
    Amazingly, as I am dressing to go and putting on my boots I start to feel looser, on top of the pain meds haha. But my body starts to let go of it's self inflicted choke hold and I can breathe a bit.

The more I moved around grooming, making his extra feed, I began to feel better. Why? First reason; my focus had changed. i was no longer on the couch thinking (focusing) on the crappy day, I was now focused on the beautiful gift I have been blessed with. I was focused on a friend who cares deeply for me. Why? Despite the torture of the fatigue the remedy is usually movement. Movement makes blood go pump pump and that gets oxygen to other parts of the body now that they are moving. I rode for over an hour (I compete as an Adult Amatuer and we WORK) and my body has the good tiredness. I am so grateful. And I work out a minimum of 4 times week if I am not bathroom sick in the morning.

I know as it has already occured; there will be times that NOTHING will help me up but time, I am not super human (my dr's call me a freak) and I have already had some serious crashes, but I am really grateful that I can really get up and go.
    I over do it because one day I won't ever do it again. I rest, etc but STILL Choose living til I drop, or fall asleep drooling on the keyboard. People who overdo it may be unreasonable, but it is unreasonable people who change the world. Rosa Parks, Steve Jobs, Mother Teresa.

All you need is within you now.

Stay Easy,
    Annette
    Last edited by lupus_looses; 02-17-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typos

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lupus_looses For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (02-17-2013)