Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 years of IBS/Diarrhea fix in 1 day

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Default 9 years of IBS/Diarrhea fix in 1 day

Hello my friends,

I have no idea how many times we have discussed the whole chronic diarrhea issue (for me it was between 8-20 times a day). My life revolved around it. within 15 min of drinking anything or eating anything I was running to the bathroom. There was no eating in a car. When I walked into a restaurant to eat I instantly located the restroom because I knew that once I had to go I would not have time to figure out where it was. I will now admit that at least weekly I didn't make it to the restroom. It was beyond humiliating and I kept getting different answers for the problem but for the first 7 years or so no one really seemed to care. I did finally have a doctor give me medicine to take when I was having severe cramps or for the severe days (over 12 times) but it was simply a band aide on the problem. I thought I was going to have to live like this forever.

I know by the discussions on here that many of you have the same issue and I need to tell you what happened to me this week. I went to my GI doctor to get the results of my endoscopy and colonoscopy which were better than they thought (they were afraid I had Crohn's), Although there were some issue that we need to deal the doctor said "I know you have IBS but have you had your gallbladder removed?". I said yes and he asked if I had been put on Welchol. My answer was no and I had never even heard of it. He then said he was going to put me on it and see if it helped and for me to come back in a month.

This is actually a cholesterol medicine and it also works to lower blood sugar. It is not absorbed by the body and it is a binding agent and apparently many times after people have their gallbladders are removed or in my instance, before it is removed when it begins to not work correctly, there can become an issue with the bile production and the binding. Often times this medicine will correct that issue.

My appointment was Monday afternoon. I took the medicine Monday night. Since mine is severe I take 3 tablets twice a day with meals and I have not had the big D since. I HAVE MY LIFE BACK. It is amazing to me that in 9+ years no one thought to try this medicine. They let me suffer for years.

Anyway, the reason for the post is that if you have the cramping/diarrhea issue and have had your gallbladder taken out talk to your doctor about Welchol. It has changed my life. It is not perfect but compared to what my life has been like it is improved by 1 million percent!
    '
    Last edited by tgal; 01-30-2013 at 09:44 AM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

n.mac (01-30-2013), Nonna (02-04-2013), Roger (01-30-2013), ruziska (01-31-2013), steve.b (01-31-2013)

Thanks

Oh my goodness - I don't know whether to celebrate for you or go punch those doctors you had all those years in the head!!!

I am so, SO happy for you - and I'm filing that info away for future reference!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

tgal (01-30-2013)

Thanks

Mari, this is awesome. I am sooooo happy for you.
    Your post made me cry, because you needlesly had to suffer for so many years.
    Lets celebrate with a big steak dinner, away from the bathroom.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

tgal (01-30-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

It's funny that you mention crying. I did that last night and am actually doing it now. In comparison to some of the other things I know it may seem like nothing but when you live with it day in and day out EVERY DAY it really is huge. It is painful, uncomfortable, embarrassing and life altering. Although I am happy I have a bit of anger as well. There has not been one doctor or one hospital in all these years that I haven't mentioned this to. You would have thought someone, somewhere would have thought to give me this medicine!

The good news is that I have it now and I now have an answer when people come here looking for help. Hopefully they won't have to suffer as long as I did and they will know what to ask about. It is so sad that we have to be the ones to have the answers when it is the doctors we pay hundreds and thousands of dollars.

Thank you Conrad and Saysusie for starting WHL. Another example of how we can help each other
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

All I can say is WOW, it seems like such a simple solution, and wonder why no one thought of it before and took so long to get you relief! Im glad it worked for you.
    Diagnosed in 2010 with SLE, recurring pericarditis, pericardial and pleural effusions. Fibromyalgia, Avascular Necrosis on both knees, IBS, Gastroparesis, migraines, DVT's, Pulmoray Emboli. Arthritis, pinched nerves and bulging disk all on the neck. Hyperthyroid issues. Neuropthy, anemia and insomnia "taking it one day at a time, what more can I do"

Thanks

Mari I am so so pleased for you...I've had similar symptoms but only short term...around 3 months but eventually it went away on its own. 3 months was bad enough, can't imagine all of those years. Hopefully you will have more energy, increased self confidence and the ability to go more places and feel comfortable eating in restaurants etc. I'm sorry it took so long, but so pleased you've had the positive transformation....enjoy!
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

Thanks

I'm so glad you found an answer and shared your issues with us.
    My wife who is otherwise pretty healthy had her gallbladder out a few years ago and has had some similar issues-more annoying than serious
    but after I had to bring her a change of clothes to her at work she doesn't go any where unprepared any more.

I can't wait to share your info with her!

Thanks!

Niall

11. The Following User Says Thank You to n.mac For This Useful Post:

tgal (01-30-2013)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Mari,

I knew you had this problem, but I never really knew just how pervasive and disruptive it was to your daily life. All those years, and then a simple solution. Why didn't the answer come to you years ago, I don't know. Just more doctors not doing their job I guess.

I'm just glad you finally have some relief from this. The newfound freedom must be very liberating, that's a good thing.

Rob

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

tgal (01-31-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,120 Posts

i saw the title..........
    and could not wait to open the thread.

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU

i do understand your frustration,....
    as i too had bad ibs (over 20 times a day also)

i am so happy that you can regain some form of a normal life.....
    i know the difference i have now to before.

welcome to the "no loo" family.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

tgal (01-31-2013)

Thanks

Mari, I just want to say, I am so happy for you. I am glad you found an easy answer to a hard problem. That's like the holy grail of medical care!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Derrie For This Useful Post:

tgal (01-31-2013)