Thread: Hemiplegic Migraines

Thanks

Default Hemiplegic Migraines

Last night I had a"funny episode" that involved a detached feeling, numb face and left arm, confusion, inability to chew and swallow my food and general unwell feeling that lasted about half an hour. I went to the docs today (I know I should have gone when it happened, please don't shout!) and the verdict is hemiplegic migraines.

Anyone else suffer and know if there is a link?
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the correct terminology (is there a test on this tomorrow??) for most any of the stuff anymore, but I get migraines similar to what you describe, but as an "aura" that comes on prior to the headache. I'd describe the "numb ... left arm" you describe as more of an "upper shoulder" kind of thing with mine. It might be 30 minutes worth, or a couple hours. It varies. Then the headache comes, and it'll be a whopper, all on one side. Then there's what I call a lupus headache, that tries to rival the migraine in intensity, but they almost always involve both sides of the brain. They might "ramp up" fast, or come on slow. It varies. Those are almost always preceded with an extra-special dosing of "brain fog" prior to their arrival. Then there's the tension headache that doesn't like to be ignored... Beyond that, I'm not much help. I go to the neurologist on the 8th of Feb, so I might get more info from him, since he'll be doing all sorts of neat tricks with needles and electrical "stimulation" on me oh boy...

Did the doc double-check your heart during the exam today?
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

Wow, your trip to the neuro sounds like it'll be interesting!

I'm just learning all the migraine lingo.,..I think I experienced the "aura" thing but not so much of the headache...don't get me wrong, I had a headache...but I've had far worse when I'm in the middle of a bad flare. Weird.

I didn't get my heart checked...whats the reason behind that? I know I used to have chest pain but it's eased off the last couple of months (one of the few things that actually hasn't got any worse!)
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

Thanks

Every time I mention "the arm" pain or "shoulder" pain, the first they think of with a 56 year old man is "heart attack", so they always check the heart. I've had migraines for years, and never knew they were migraines, until just a few years ago. Weird, huh? I don't know what your "brain fog" is like, but mine gets rather intense at times, and can make me quite confused and out of it, like "acid has been poured into my brain" (my 10 year old's line - he has asperbers). The "fog" usually lasts quite a bit longer than 30 minutes though. So if the doc says that, keep your eye on it. From what I've read, you can get some strange symptoms. Did he mention any relation to lupus? When's your next rheumy visit, or are you able to get one? btw, my neuro appointment got moved to the next Friday. Another week of anticipation oh boy.
    Last edited by jmail; 02-01-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks

Ah bugger, I hate waiting for appointments, hope it doesn't drag too much. My next rheumy appointment is on the 17th and the doc said to mention it. I've been thinking about it and i'm sure I've had similar "episodes" before but not as severe. But they are only ever short lived. I do have brain fog but it feels different to this migraine thing. I can't really explain how though!
    Ugh, it's so difficult having to develop a whole vocabulary to describe you're illness, it's infuriating. I feel like if I don't describe it accurately I won't get the right treatment.

Thanks

For me, the brain fog makes me duncy, slow, unable to concentrate very well, zoned-out, etc. The migraine makes me feel more like "acid has been poured into my brain", as my 10 year old son says about his asperber "flares". I can't concentrate at all, in fact, it hurts when I try to think, not just difficult. That's the difference for me, "dangerous" instead of "duncy"...