Thread: seizures

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default seizures

Hi everyone, me again.
    Could anyone tell me what a seizure feels like.
    or how to know if it is one?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Neuropsychiatric manifestations associated with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) including seizures are common, occurring in nearly 75% of patients if there are abnormalities on the brain, such as NeuroCerebral atrophy - Shrinking of the brain. There are several different types of seizures:
    1. Focal seizure
    A seizure which involves only one part of the body

2. Generalized seizure:-
    A seizure which involves the entire body, and causes the patient to lose consciousness

3. Narcolepsy:-
    A sleep disorder consisting of sleep attacks, vivid dreams, sleep paralysis, and drop attacks.

4. Neuropsychiatric manifestations
    Symptoms which are caused by the brain, spinal cord, or nerves where
    psychological testing is considered.

5. Tonic/clonic seizure
    A generalized seizure during which the patient jerks at four extremities

The symptoms vary widely, depending on the part of the brain affected by the electrical misfiring. If a very small part of the brain is affected, you might sense only an odd smell or taste. In other cases you could have hallucinations, convulsions, or lose consciousness.

Generalized Tonic-Clonic: Sometimes preceded by an aura (awareness of a strange odor, taste, or vision); loss of consciousness and a fall; muscle rigidity (stiffness), followed by convulsions (jerking movements of the arms and legs); and possible loss of bladder control or tongue biting. After regaining consciousness, the person may feel confused and fall asleep.

Generalized Absence: Loss of consciousness and blank stare or eyelid fluttering for 10 to 30 seconds; person resumes activity immediately after the seizure and feels well.

Simple Partial: Involuntary movements, sensations, or psychic experiences such as awareness of a smell or a sense of déjà vu lasting several seconds; no loss of consciousness.
    Complex Partial: Initial disorientation followed by strange movements of the arms or legs or odd vocalizations for one to three minutes; loss of consciousness.

Jacksonian: Muscle twitching begins in a single area and then progresses, for example from the hand to the arm.

Seizures often appear early in the course of the disease and occur in from 9% to 58% of lupus patients reported in clinical series.
    Most clinical seizures involve spells of brief, involuntary sudden attacks of behavior lasting from seconds to several minutes. Behavioral changes may or may not include convulsions (rhythmic jerking of the arms and legs). Recovery after a seizure is usually complete but sometimes you will feel very tired for hours.
    Two thirds to three fourths of the seizures in Lupus patients are generalized tonic/clonic seizures. Although not all studies agree, there is consensus that many generalized seizures occur for the first time during an SLE disease flare and often do not recur until another flare. If residual cerebral injury occurs during the flare, epilepsy may develop. In many cases, however, these seizures may be part of a temporary process of the flare that lowers the ability to make the brain go into a seizure.
    This puts them in the category of "provoked seizures," not epilepsy.
    Seizures that occur from systemic infection, fever, renal failure or other toxic or metabolic problems are considered "provoked" seizures and not epilepsy.

I hope that I've answered your question. Let me know if you need more information

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hello Morpheus. I have a seizure disorder that was diagnosed a long time ago. We have yet to figure out if it's connected to my "lupus-like" symptoms (not diagnosed yet) or not. I can tell you that I get an aura before have a seizure - mine aura is not the usual from what I hear. I get very warm and my lower back will perspire! I get dizzy and by that time I put myself on the floor so I don't fall. That's all I remember until the seizure is over. My recovery period varies. Most time when I'm "waking up" I can hear what's going on around me but I feel very helpless, very weak, almost as if I were very intoxicated. I am very tired afterward and normally try to lay down for an hour or so. That's a "good" seizure.

I've had "bad" seizures - like a few in a row, or several in one day. Actually I just out of the hospital for uncontrolled seizure activity. It's not fun, but for me, it's tolerable with meds.

Hoped that helped.
    Trish