Thread: Can we talk about Nuvigil?

Thanks

Default Can we talk about Nuvigil?

I was diagnosed about a year ago after my first really big flare. (Based upon labs and symptoms- joint swelling/ pain, raynauds, malar rash, sun sensitive skin rash, nose/ mouth ulcers, and overwheling fatigue)- went the prednisone/ plaquenil route and responded well. Symptoms are generally improving and getting off prednisone (which is a topic for whole other post). The main issue at the moment is the overwhelming tiredness/ "hit a wall" type fatigue. I work and am a mom- I have cut back on everything to conserve energy, balance rest w exercise, eat well, try to get enough rest at night-> but am still struggling with fall asleep in my tracks tiredness and constant yawning. Based on some research, I asked my rheumy about Nuvigil. It helps a lot- I can get though work days and put my kids to sleep. I don't take on weekends. Problem is insurance doesn't cover it and it is very expensive. Any advice?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi and welcome to the WHL family. I have not tried this medicine before but if it works for you, you might want to try contacting the drug manufacturer to see about getting it at a reduced cost. I don't know what your family income is but under certain amounts the companies will often give the drugs to you at a free or reduced price.

It can't hurt to look into it
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Cuphalfful (01-25-2013)

Thanks

I wish it were legal for me to mail you mine - my doc gave me a HUGE packet of samples, plus I paid for some more - and i absolutely HATE the stuff!!! Makes me feel awful - even just 1/4 of a pill.

I agree you should contact the manufacturer. Seems like it would be worth their while to collect data on its use for clinical fatigue (like what we have with Lupus, Sjogren's, Fibro, etc) - it would probably be worth it to them to get FDA approval for those uses. I think a LOT of docs prescribe it this way, and it can be quite effective, depending on how the individual reacts to it.

Also ask your doc for samples....they often have a bunch in their cabinet. Mine gave me about 20 of them, and some coupons that SIGNIFICANTLY offset the cost at the pharmacy.

I am glad you get some help from it - though I am sorry you need it.

I found that my fatigue got a lot better after about 7 months on Plaq, and got even BETTER after going onto Mtx. Be sure to ask your doc if maybe you need something else to get the Lupus under control, rather than treating the symptom (fatigue).

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

Cuphalfful (01-25-2013), steve.b (01-25-2013), tgal (01-24-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

hi and welcome,
    i do notknow about the medication......
    but i did want to say hi

HI

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Cuphalfful (01-25-2013)

Thanks

Insurance denied (I contacted them.) up to my Rheumy to appeal for preaapproval. I was wondering if anyone had success in getting approval? Also- for those trying nuvigil for fatigue- it does help me, but it is not a 'magic' solution- makes work more manageable, but I have to be extra careful not to overdo it and get the rest I need.

Thanks

http://www.nuvigil.com/OnDemandCente...ssistance.aspx
    This is the company website. They offer financial assistance.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jolynnhughes For This Useful Post:

Cuphalfful (01-31-2013), steve.b (01-29-2013)

Thanks

Joly- I spoke w Nuvigil. They have financial assistance only for "on label" use. And autoimmune fatigue is off label at this point in time.

Thanks

Hi guys! Yesterday I spoke with the Nuvigil company and they do offer assistance. They have a prescription card that you get by either going on their website ( Nuvigil.com ) print and fill out or you can call them (1.800.284.2966) and they will send one out to you. They said when I go pick up my Nuvigil prescription show my Nuvigil prescription card and it will save me $50!!! I will keep you guys posted once I get mine and try it out. I hope this helps!