Thread: New Pain Med coming soon

Thanks

Default New Pain Med coming soon

Has anyone heard anything about tapentadol or when it is going to be scheduled and released? It was approved in November but is waiting to be scheduled. It is like Tramadol (Ultram) in that it is not an actual opiate however it is much stronger than Tramadol however it does not work off CYP2D6 an enzyme most are deficient in -therefore not getting the full effect of the medication. I personally am so excited about this new drug. My Dr. is wanting to switch me from the Suboxone I am on now to either Fentynl patches or methadone - which I am not wanting to do either at this point. I am only 24 and would rather save those options until a ways into the future. Let me know if any of ya have heard of this or what your opinions are. Thanks

Thanks

I tried to research it but I could not come up with a release date. I am on Tramadol right now and I am not seeing much relief. This would be something I would be interested in trying. Keep me posted
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I found this article:

November 25, 2008 The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has announced approval of tapentadol hydrochloride (Johnson & Johnson), an immediate-release oral tablet for the relief of moderate to severe acute pain. "This approval offers healthcare professionals an additional choice for treating moderate to severe pain," John Jenkins, MD, director of the office of new drugs at the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, said in a statement from the FDA.

The approval was based on data from clinical studies involving more than 2100 patients, the Johnson & Johnson release notes. These phase 3 studies, presented at the 27th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Pain Society in May, showed significant relief compared with placebo for patients undergoing bunionectomy, a common foot surgery; in pain from end-stage joint disease; and with low back pain or osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. It was generally well tolerated.

The most common adverse effects from tapentadol are nausea, dizziness, vomiting, sleepiness, and headaches, the FDA release said. "The labeling for tapentadol includes warnings about the risk of respiratory depression; addictive depressive effects on the central nervous system when taken with alcohol, other opioids, or illicit drugs; and abuse potential," the FDA release adds.

Tapentadol is manufactured by Johnson & Johnson. PriCara, a division of Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, will market tapentadol in the United States. Both are wholly owned subsidiaries of Johnson & Johnson, the company release notes.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thank you for the information
    As I grow to understand life less and less,
    I learn to love it more and more.

Age 29, Lupus for last 7 years

Medications: Methotrexate, Lyrica, Celebrex, Flexeril, Theophylline, Bactrim, Xopenex, Lisinopril, Ultram

Thanks

It sounds like an synthetic opiate as it works on the opiate receptors.

Here is some information from drugs dot com:
    Upon FDA approval, PriCara(TM), Division of Ortho-McNeil-Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., will market tapentadol in the United States.

Mu-opioid agonists are drugs that bind to mu-opioid receptors in the central nervous system. These drugs modify sensory and affective (mood) aspects of pain, inhibit the transmission of pain at the spinal cord and affect activity at parts of the brain that control how pain is perceived. Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors are a type of central nervous system medication that increase the level of norepinephrine in the brain by inhibiting its re-absorption into nerve cells; these compounds have analgesic properties.
    Krissy in New Hampshire

DX: Antiphospholipid syndrome, Raynauds, Lyme disease, and lupus "suspect"