Thread: Shellfish causing flares?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Shellfish causing flares?

So recently I've had a flare with my lupus and I was wondering if it could be a result of consuming prawns? I only think this because I've also had smaller but similar flares after eating prawns from Christmas dinners and a couple of family celebrations. I haven't had a history of being allergic to seafood/shellfish in any way but my brother (who doesn't have lupus) is allergic to shellfish and tends to get a rash after eating it.

I've tried to research into this a bit but there hasn't been a lot of information out there. All I could find is that some cultures believe that prawns and other shellfish contain some toxins that could be harmful to sick people.

Anyways I was just wondering, has this happened to anyone else? I'm just a little worried because my prednisone was also decreased by a little before Christmas last year and I'm not sure if it's the decrease in medication or the shellfish that's causing my flare again. Thanks!

Thanks

Maybe related to the fluid retention that seafood can cause?

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Aimee,

To the best of my knowledge, the only food that it known for sure to have a proven and direct negative effect on Lupus disease activity, is Alfalfa Sprouts. There is growing anecdotal evidence that garlic may have a negative effect as well, but that is far from being proven at this point.

I live on the coast of Maine, and I eat all sorts of shellfish on a regular basis, and I've never noted any correlation between eating prawns and an increase in my Lupus flare activity. I do know that many people are allergic to various types of shellfish, and perhaps that allergy somehow interacts with SLE, but that's just pure speculation on my part.

The decrease in meds could certainly cause an increase in disease activity. If this decrease in meds is causing your latest problems is a question I would ask my Dr./Rheumotologist.

Rob

Thanks

Have you ever been tested by an allergist aimee.x? I ate shellfish into my twenties with no noticeable issues, and then gradually developed an intolerance for all exoskeletal sea creatures, which are to this day still my favorite "fish" food (especially shrimp)... My intolerance is due to intestinal tract problems, which encompasses more than just shellfish, though. Not a true allergy. As Rob mentions, consult your docs, and they may have you do a diary of sorts, and/or refer you to an allergist and/or adjust your meds. My meds get adjusted just about every visit to the rheumy (every 3 months... sigh).
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You know the more my lupus is active the more I become allergic to foods. Like I went through a month of me being allergic to practically everything I ate, then nothing no allergies to anything anymore. And I had no idea Alfalfa Sprouts were bad for me! See this is why I love this sight I learn from yall then from my doctor and I love those little sprouts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    Have you ever been tested by an allergist aimee.x? I ate shellfish into my twenties with no noticeable issues, and then gradually developed an intolerance for all exoskeletal sea creatures, which are to this day still my favorite "fish" food (especially shrimp)... My intolerance is due to intestinal tract problems, which encompasses more than just shellfish, though. Not a true allergy. As Rob mentions, consult your docs, and they may have you do a diary of sorts, and/or refer you to an allergist and/or adjust your meds. My meds get adjusted just about every visit to the rheumy (every 3 months... sigh).
    I've never been tested by an allergist but I know I have some sort of allergy to mangos and kiwi fruits. Maybe I do have a shellfish intolerance but I've never had it before so it's a bit strange. I'll definitely ask my GP about getting some tests done on that to make sure though.

And I'll be sure to tell my rheumatologist about this the next time I see him. Thanks for the replies guys!