Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Prune!

Thanks

Default I'm a Prune!

I don't know if it's because we're having really cold temps in NorCal and have the heat turned up a bit, or what, but my skin and mouth feel like the Sahara!

I had straight olive oil massaged into my skin--it lapped it up. A few hours later, I was ready for another application. I woke up this morning with my tongue stuck to the roof if my mouth-it hurt!

I was dx'ed with Sjogren's at the same time I received my SLE dx, but I've never been so dry. In fact, I'm not having solid food, only having liquids, because I'm so dry. I'm hoping this doesn't kick start the digestive issues that were flaring for four years (and led to autoimmune dx).

I take Evocax in hopes that it will make things more fluid, so to speak, but I haven't noticed an improvement.

Does amyone else have such extreme dryness? Any suggestions on getting rid of my snake skin and cotton mouth?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I can so totally relate to this!I am SE based and the temps are in the 30's.I refuse to let anyone touch the thermostat in my house and left it on 65.I do not want to heat to kick on at all.My children are claiming they feel like eskimos.

Try sugar free lemon drops for the salivary issue-the lemon will work the glands overtime producing and since you are ccontinually eating them(any hard candy will work if you hate lemon it just produces the most saliva)sugar free is important.

A cool mist humidifier if you are not already using one-I have multiples.You can also boil water on the stove which will add moisture and heat the house too.Avoid salt,caffeine as they will dehydrate.Avoid house heat if at all possible and ceiling fans will aggravate eyes.

Hope some of this helps.Its miserable to wake up with a lump in your mouth that feels horrible and then you realize oh hey thats my tongue!

Be well
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsLupus2007 For This Useful Post:

BonusMom (01-20-2013)

Thanks

Here in the midwest we are having a very mild winter-little snow and moderate temps (for here anyway).
    Most houses here have humidifiers built into the forced air heating system as dryness is inevitable once your furnace goes on.

But as Tadpole points out a pot of water simmering on the stove can help a great deal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to n.mac For This Useful Post:

BonusMom (01-20-2013)

Thanks

"Ditto" on the humidifiers as n.mac & ItsLupus2007 have mentioned. We've got one on the furnace, and two little "water beater" ones in the house, and our fish tank will still lose water to evaporation in the winter here.

You've probably already been given all the "warnings" from your docs BonusMom, about no caffiene, watch your salt intake, be careful of diuretics, don't do fried food, etc. Your tongue stuck to the roof of your mouth might also be from snoring (is there a better term for that??), or sleeping with your mouth open, from sinus issues (I have awful troubles with it), which makes the dry mouth stuff even worse, so I do a nightly routine with my copd inhaler, nose spray, etc, then I can try to do some shut-eye.

One thing about it, with the dry skin stuff, I'll go to my wife and say "Lori, this dryness is about to do me in, can you rub some of this moisturizer cream in... all over?..." -wink wink-
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

BonusMom (01-20-2013)

Thanks

Thanks about the reminders about no caffeine and reduced salt diet. I hadn't had a soda in more than two years and in the last two weeks, I've had a few. Better cut that out again. As to alcohol, I'm not saying goodbye to an occasional adult beverage because I enjoy it and I've given up a lot of other things due to AI issues

I took a cooler bath than normal yesterday and then "dried off" with a coat of olive oil. Ahhhhh, relief! When I was a teen (merely a couple of years ago!), I would spend hours in the sun, shower and then dry off with baby oil. Olive oil absorbs so much better. I've been applying CeraVe cream to my hands, Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture to my face and lip balm almost obsessively. Oh, and drinking lots of water.

Next on my list is a humidifier. Although I turn off the heat at night, I'm sure a humidifier would help relieve the extreme dryness in my mouth. I do understand that I (gasp!) snore-please don't tell anyone

Bottom's up!

Thanks

My wife says I'm beyond snoring. I "snorkel-gap", which refers to the sound... Probably one of the reasons why, if I don't sleep well, no one in the house does either... lol

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BonusMom View Post
    As to alcohol, I'm not saying goodbye to an occasional adult beverage because I enjoy it and I've given up a lot of other things due to AI issues

Bottom's up!
    I say give me Guinness, or give me death! (Patron Silver is an acceptable second choice if the Guinness runs out)

Thanks

Let's make a deal, Rob. You drink my allotment of Guiness and I'll drink yours of the Patron Silver!

I love a nice Tequila Sunrise or Margarita....especially on a hot summer day. This time of year, I favor White Russians or Bailey's on the rocks. Not what one would consider low-cal refreshments, but I love the richness of both drinks

Thanks

Color me happy, fellow loopies! I figured out what was causing the sudden onset of extreme dryness......Unisom.

When I saw the lady doc for my annual late last year I mentioned difficulty with wakefulness after just 3-4 hours of sleep, she suggested Unisom since it's non-addictive.

Perhaps it's non-addictive, but it's a darn near death sentence for a Sjoggie whose mouth is already dry! Seriously, I have sores at the corner of my mouth, my tongue has sores and is rough. And how, pray tell, does one get more sleep if they're getting up to potty several times during the night because of the huge amount of water they drank the day before to compensate fir the dryness???

Give me a bottle of Nyquil any day over Unisom-it doesn't dry me out nearly as bad.

This little "lesson" has taught me the importance of reading the labels of all meds/supplements BEFORE taking them. In this instance, I ass•umed that my doctor remembered that I had SjS and would never suggest I take something that would be so detrimental. WRONG! Don't trust, do your own research. Your dry orifices will thank you!

P.S. Line 'em up, Rob as it doesn't appear that alcohol was the problem! hehehe
    Last edited by BonusMom; 01-24-2013 at 06:44 AM.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Makes sense. I used to take the antihistamine Benadryl to help me sleep, and it dried me out so bad I couldn't even swallow when I woke up in the morning.

Dry orifices are no fun!