Thread: Surgery advice

Thanks

Default Surgery advice

My dermatologist found a melanoma on my ankle. I will have surgery including a skin graft in a couple of weeks. Is there anything I should think about regarding Lupus? I have heard surgery can cause a flare.

I have felt so sick lately it is hard to imagine having what the surgery will do to my immune system.

Thanks

Are they doing it "out-patient", where you go home a couple hours afterwards? When I had skin grafts done to repair a finger years ago, the finger felt better than the graft site did (my bicep). I've not had too much of a problem with "minor" surgeries, but my skin does not heal like it did when I was younger, taking upwards of twice as long as I used to, to get "closure", shall we say? I've still got a bit of a scab on my knee from when I fell back in August. My diabetes contributes to that also tho. If you're sick, they will not (or shouldn't) operate, especially skin grafting. But you do want to get rid of a melanoma asap... How long has it been since you have blood work done, to see your cbc and lupus panel numbers? Has the surgeon consulted with your rheumy?
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

Make extra-sure everybody involved in your care knows about the Lupus, as well as any medications you are on. And don't assume they will remember or check your chart...better to be annoying than get sick!

If you end up on any antibiotics, make EXTRA-sure they know - sulfa drugs are not good for people with Lupus but they are the most commonly-prescribed antibiotics. (Google "Lupus Sulfa" and you will get lots of good info).

Keep a close eye on yourself - do you have somebody at home who can accompany you that day, and also help you heal? Keep track of meds, etc?

Sorry you have to go through that...I hope it goes well and the healing is fast!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

tgal (01-12-2013)

Thanks

Thanks so much for the feedback Jmail. It is reassuring to know minor surgery might not cause an issue. I am meeting with the surgeon on Monday. I think it is outpatient because it is at a plastic surgery center. I have a call in to my rheumatologist to discuss it. Although I feel sick - I am probably not "sick". My bloodwork was done in December and everything looked good.

Thanks

Thanks Sleepy in Seattle. That is a great reminder about the sulfa antibiotics. I plan to make it clear I have Lupus.

I am really lucky. My husband is really supportive and will be with me. My in-laws live nearby and can help with the kids. I think I may have to stay off my foot for a while. Maybe I'll end up getting some extra rest. I can't complain about that!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicole For This Useful Post:

SleepyInSeattle (01-11-2013)

Thanks

I had an out patient surgery on my ear back in August. I had a shunt put in my ear and some bone removed for my menieres disease. Anyway, I agree with SleepyInSeattle make sure EVERYONE knows you have lupus and the medications you are on. When I went home from surgery I slept a lot and that's because of the anesthesia it does it to me every time. But the next day my lupus was well..... normal. No real change. I hope your surgery goes well.