Thread: Bone Scan - what are your T Scores?

Thanks

Default Bone Scan - what are your T Scores?

I had my bone density scan yesterday and the radiographer kept asking if 'I had any problems', I told him my right hip really hurts and I have to have steroid shots and I take long term preds.

He looked a bit concerned my T score in my hip was -0.14 which was significantly lower than that of my spine, a report is being sent to my GP.

Have any of you had bone scans and what was your results? I dont know if mine are high or low but the hip is in the minus readings and the spine isnt, that is all I know.

Just trying to make sense of it I guess but my hip was even hurting when he had to move me to scan me and today I am in even more pain.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

trust "meb md" to have the answer

DEXA scores are reported as "T-scores" and "Z-scores."
    • The T-score is a comparison of a person's bone density with that of a healthy 30-year-old of the same sex.
    • The Z-score is a comparison of a person's bone density with that of an average person of the same age and sex.
    Lower scores (more negative) mean lower bone density:
    • A T-score of -2.5 or lower qualifies as osteoporosis.
    • A T-score of -1.0 to -2.5 signifies osteopenia, meaning below-normal bone density without full osteoporosis.
    Multiplying the T-score by 10% gives a rough estimate of how much bone density has been lost.

the full report is http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/li...orosis-7/tests

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

jmail (01-08-2013)