Thread: Allergic to my own sweat?

Thanks

Default Allergic to my own sweat?

I know my lupus is pretty active right now and on top of everything else I keep getting a strange rash in various areas over my body...under my arms where my bra is, under my breasts, around my waistband, my inner thighs and feet...it is red and raised but flat on the top if that makes sense, and it disappears very quickly leaving no trace of ever being there. It is itchy but not painful and sometimes the flat red but will appear yellowish if its very severe.

The only thing I can think is that its appearing in typically sweaty areas where clothes rub...but its an odd reaction for just clothes rubbing, it definitely seems like an allergy. It shouldn't be my WSJ powder unless I've developed an allergy to it after months of using it.

Anyone experience the same?
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

Thanks

Could be you have developed an allergy to your detergent, fabric softener, etc...you might try switching to one of the unscented, hypoallergenic ones. Definitely sounds like a reaction to something in the clothing...

Hmmm...could also be a reaction to latex? All those areas tend to be close to stretchy fabric (the bra band, legbands on your undies, socks)...or it could just be that those places get most irritated because they rub hardest on your skin.

Sounds awfully uncomfortable, though! If it IS some kind of allergic reaction, rubbing Benadryl cream on the area might give you some relief.

Thanks

Sleepy brings up a good point. I have to do "fragrance-free" detergent, warm water rinse, no softener (not even the dryer sheets). I'm a sensitive kind of guy, to the point that I have to be careful what I bathe with (rubber duckies excluded, but I can't wear the water wings - tic). I can't do most shampoos, and I can't use something like a Ivory soap for more than one shower, and have to change to something different. Even some of the "gentle" stuff leaves a residue on the skin, and can cause issues... I'll go from sweating like crazy to not sweating at all, to doing some sort of weird sweating in odd places at odd times (ie: back of the neck)... Eczema (atopic dermatitis) is a side-effect of the sweating, and can come and go at various times. It'll usually pop-up easier in the folds of skin, or where clothing is tight on the skin. What I eat can influence the dermatitis also, with cow dairy being the main culprit there, and UV exposure has reared its ugly head more than once on this. Even meds can do it to you... It can take a lot of experimentation on your part to track down what the culprit(s) is (are), and it can be very frustrating. Consult your doc next visit, and see if they have any ideas.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,106 Posts

it does sound similar to what is suffer.....
    (not the bra line though) he he he

but seriously,
    i use a salt rock deoderant.
    if your body is overheating inthose areas,
    then your current deoderant may be making things worse.

the salt rock does not contain some of the irritant substances found in more comercial products.

trying it would not hurt anything .... and just may help.

also i use an anti fungal cream... when the area gets real sore.
    the yellowing of the skin is usually a sign of it getting beyond normal control levels.
    (all sweat rashes are fungal in nature)

Thanks

I'm not sure if its a reaction to sweat or not. I have Cholinergic Urticaria which is an allergic reaction to one's own sweat. Mine's brought on mainly by exercise and being outside in the summer. Typically the reaction is small red bumps in the affected areas that itch like crazy and then disappear soon after I cool down and stop sweating but I've also had large red patches similar to what you described during an outbreak. Mine most often appear across my stomach, on my arms and my thighs. It's definitely not fun!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I used to have the same sort of raised up rash under my arms. Turns out that I developed a sensitivity to the clear gel types of deodorant. Any brand that's transparent and has that slippery consistency makes me break out. Once I switched to using the solid white kind, the problem went away.

Thanks

Could be dermagraphia. It's a friction rash, for lack of a better explanation.

Thanks

Thanks everyone, I'll have a look into those things. Definitely moving away from a detergent allergy..it's not worse just after washing cloth
    es, it's only now and then goes away even it'd I'm still wearing them.

Today I have lumps all over my bum and around my bra line again. Can't be food because I'm on an elimination diet.

Its very strange!
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear

Thanks

It's dermograhia! I checked it out and that is exactly it!! Thanks Jolynn....do you use any treatment for it? Should I mention it to the rheumy?

Thanks

Oh, so glad I could be of some help! For years, I was told mine was due to allergies, so I always took antihistimines. That would help some. Now, knowing what I know about autoimmune issues, I believe the first outbreak I had of mine was also the onset of my problems. Mine were always bad when I was tired or stressed. It never seemed to coincide with my other allergies. I started taking neurontin in September of this year for my neuropathy. Since then, and for the first time in 20 years, I don't have problems with it. When I do, it's just the red marks and not the itching. Let me know what your rheumy says. Mine didn't seem to impressed with it. When he asked about rashes, I told him. He just moved on to the next question.