Thread: Itp and nplate

Thanks

Question Itp and nplate

I was diagnosed with SLE 2 yrs ago and a little over a yr ago was diagnosed with ITP (thrombocytopenia - or low platelet count). a normal healthy platelet count averages between 150,000-450,000. at one point my count was ZERO and as a result of that and trying to build my count back up was in the hospital for 5 wks. that was over a year ago but I am still struggling with my counts. I was prescribed NPLATE injection every week and just recently was bumped down to every two wks to start platelet production.
    I was just wondering if anyone else with SLE had/has ITP also...personally I've never known or heard of anyone.
    thanks for any replies

Thanks

I'm usually borderline low, but never anywhere near zero. I get IVIG infusions (blood plasma with immunoglogulins) for CVID. With my history, its difficult to tell if it's the Lupus, or a birth defect that causes my blood issues, but I blame the lupus nonetheless, cause it causes everything else... tic - Do you like your hematologist?
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

Default I have ITP and lupus

Quote Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
    I was diagnosed with SLE 2 yrs ago and a little over a yr ago was diagnosed with ITP (thrombocytopenia - or low platelet count). a normal healthy platelet count averages between 150,000-450,000. at one point my count was ZERO and as a result of that and trying to build my count back up was in the hospital for 5 wks. that was over a year ago but I am still struggling with my counts. I was prescribed NPLATE injection every week and just recently was bumped down to every two wks to start platelet production.
    I was just wondering if anyone else with SLE had/has ITP also...personally I've never known or heard of anyone.
    thanks for any replies
    I just went to the doctor today and she said that I was negative for lupus for now I was so happy... But I'm really worried about my ITP because I've had an IvIG for 5 days and it helped it a little but my count is going back down and he wants me to take NPlate injections. Have you had a spenectomy or tried these injections?

Thanks

No. I do B12 injections, but no nplate ones. They were going to do a splenectomy on me a couple different times, but I "calmed-down" after a few IVIG infusions, and have stablized in that regard. Been doing monthly infusions for almost 3 years now. It probably took like 3 or 4 months before I started stabilizing, and even at that I've had a few "extra-special" trips to the ER since, but nothing in the last year of that nature. Came close with a rash I developed last summer, but... fingers crossed that things improve for you. Are they checking other avenues of the cause of the blood issues you have?
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."