Thread: Discoid lupus?

Thanks

Default Discoid lupus?

I found this on my butt the other night! It doesn't itch but its dry and feels scaly. It is slightly raised. Also I only have one and not multiple. I have an ulcer in my nose at the moment and was wondering if this could be some sort of lesion?

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user...4a882.jpg.html

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user...ae331.jpg.html

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

There are so many different types of skin involvement in Lupus that we would not be able to give you a definitive answer to your question. Make sure that you show this rash to your doctor so that a determination can be made. I have posted a web site below that has some pictures of several rashes/lesions seen in Lupus:
    http://lupus.webmd.com/ss/slideshow-lupus-overview.

Also, the Lupus Foundation website provides a lot of information about Lupus rashes. Lesions in the nose and mouth are, unfortunately, quite common in Lupus and can be seen in patients with Discoid Lupus as well as Systemic Lupus.

Here is an article about skin involvement in Lupus. Hopefully it will answer some of your questions:
    Chronic cutaneous (discoid lupus), subacute cutaneous, and acute cutaneous are the three main types of lupus skin disease.
    However, there are other skin diseases that can occur in lupus and in other autoimmune diseases. Those include vasculitis and alopecia (hair loss). Mucosal ulcers in the nose or mouths are another common complaint of those with lupus. Like other symptoms, the ulcers can come and go as the disease flares.

And just to make it more complicated, lupus types range across a broad spectrum. Some people with discoid lupus may never develop the systemic version of the disease (systemic lupus erythematosus). And those with subacute cutaneous lupus may develop arthritis, for example, while those with acute cutaneous lupus typically are people with active SLE.

Chronic cutaneous lupus (Discoid Lupus):

Discoid lupus distinguishes itself from systemic lupus erythematosus through the severity of rashes. In SLE, a malar rash in a butterfly pattern may appear across the nose and cheeks of the patients, or red rashes may develop in reaction to sunlight. But in discoid lupus, chronic inflammatory sores develop on the face, ears, scalp and on other body areas.

When lesions become very thick scales, they are referred to as “hypertrophic” (thickened) or “verrucous” (wart-like) discoid lesions. Lesions with firm lumps in the fatty tissue underlying the skin are called “lupus profundus” or “lupus erythematosus panniculitis.”
    Some patients have scarring on the scalp, making hair re-growth impossible in those areas. A skin biopsy is often used to diagnose discoid lupus in these cases, as other diseases can look similar but have different treatments.

Lupus can affect many organs besides the skin. When it does, it's called SLE.. About 10 percent of discoid lupus patients develop SLE. As with other forms of lupus, it is a case of the body attacking normal skin. The exact cause of this form is unknown, although women are more likely to have it and it has been shown to run in families. Cigarette smoking and sunlight have been shown to exacerbate the condition.
    Lesions can be treated with the application of corticosteroid creams, ointments, gels, tapes, and solutions.

Subacute cutaneous lupus:

Subacute cutaneous lesions are defined by their two clinical forms:

• A psoriasis-like lesion with red scaly patches on the arms, shoulders, neck, and trunk and fewer patches on the face.
    • A red ring-shaped lesion with a slight scale on the edges.

Those with subacute cutaneous lupus should avoid natural sunlight and tanning beds as this photosensitivity will exacerbate the disease.
    As with discoid lupus, lesions can be treated with the application of corticosteroid creams, ointments, gels, tapes, and solutions.

Acute cutaneous lupus:

Lesions associated with acute cutaneous lupus appear as flattened areas of red skin on the face, reminiscent of a sunburn – the tell-tale butterfly rash. These lesions can appear on the arms, legs, and body, and are photosensitive. Though they may discolor the skin, they do not scar. Those with active SLE –- those having a flare – often display these lesions.
    Acute cutaneous lupus, since it often occurs with body-wide lupus (SLE) is often treated with drugs such as prednisone, or in combination with other immunosuppressants.

Vasculitis:

This condition is inflammation of the lining of the blood vessels, which appears as red bumps or spots on the skin, commonly the lower legs, occurs because of damage to the blood vessels in the skin. Occasionally, larger knots (nodules) and ulcers can develop, and the disease can be hive-like or produce small red or purple lines in fingernail folds or on fingertips. This usually occurs in patients with active SLE, but one does not have to have lupus to have vasculitis.

Alopecia (hair loss):

Severe lupus flares can often results in fragile hair that breaks easily, or temporary hair loss, which is eventually replaced by new hair growth. Broken hair often looks ragged and is sometimes termed “lupus hair.” Of note, when discoid lupus involves the scalp, prompt treatment is encouraged, since hair follicle damage can cause irreversible hair loss.

Treatment reminder

Lupus patients should be aware of dangers of prolonged exposure to sunlight, tanning booths and certain light bulbs (photosensitivity). To protect oneself from the sun, sunscreens with SPFs above 30 that protect against both UVA and UVB rays should be applied every two hours. Consider appropriate clothing that can protect against the sun, as well.
    Consult a dermatologist for further information on choosing the right treatment, as well as proper selection and use of sunscreens.

I hope that this has been helpful. I wish you the best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

jmail (01-08-2013), Maegan (01-07-2013), tgal (01-06-2013)

Thanks

thank you for all the useful info!

I went to the doc today and she poked at it and said she thinks its a cut or a burn. WTF! Its on my butt! I think I would have remember if I cut or burned it! She swabbed my nose with a q-tip (I don't think she even hit the actual spot where the ulcer is) and said I probably had a staph infection in my nose.

Doctors are so irritating to me! GAH!

Thanks

Namaste is *good*, isn't she?...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-09-2013), steve.b (01-08-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmail View Post
    Namaste is *good*, isn't she?...

Just an FYI... That is Saysusie . She is our founder and yes, she is excellent!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-09-2013)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Just an FYI... That is Saysusie . She is our founder and yes, she is excellent!
    again amny of us learn from this wonderful lady.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-09-2013)

Thanks

Unless I am misktaken, the Namaste before her name signifies a now to the person she is speaking to as in "I now to you" and is followed by her name. She can correct me if I am wrong (which I would live because that is always what I have assumed)
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Tgal;
    You are very close (lol).

Jmail and WHL Family -
    Namaste, as I use it, means that I see, recognize, honor, respect, and acknowledge the Good, the God, the Worthiness, and the Value in each of you!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

steve.b (01-11-2013), tgal (01-10-2013)

Thanks

A person learns something new everyday. A beautiful salute for each of us, from a beautiful person, Saysusie.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

Yes! Thank you for correcting me! I love the new meaning(new to me)
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~