Thread: Newbie

Thanks

Red face Newbie

Hi guys!
    I am a 49 year old Pre-K teacher and just been diagnosed with SLE about 6months ago. After going through so many tests for so many years and thinking I was going out of my mind...I was just happy to have a name for what was wrong. Now since there are no horrible symptoms, except for swelling, joint pain, memory fog, tiredness, and minor depression from time to time, I feel as if I am waiting for something major to happen. Is that normal or what?

Thanks

Welcome!
    I think now that you are aware of your condition and you follow your dr's recomendations concerning meds,sun exposure etc.there is no need to think your condition will necessarily worsen.
    I have been diagnosed for just over 2 years-my overall health is better now than before-but it is important to keep taking your meds and follow up with your doctors.

Many people with lupus never suffer from severe issues.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to n.mac For This Useful Post:

fhallock (01-03-2013), steve.b (01-03-2013), tgal (01-03-2013)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Just as each individu is different, each individual case of Lupus is different. With meds you may only get to feeling better. You will most likely have periods of flares and remission like states (places you feel better) but it is VERY possible that you may never come down with a severe case of Lupus. We have a saying here (it comes from my mother) "don't borrow trouble". This simply means deal with what you are dealing with today and deal with what comes tomorrow, tomorrow.

Welcome to the WHL FAMILY
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Shine (01-04-2013)

Thanks

It takes a while to learn to live with the diagnosis - it's an ongoing process. I am sure most of us can relate to the feeling of RELIEF to have a name to put on things, and then that dawning realization that you have an axe hovering above your head, so to speak....

They way I think of it is that the Lupus is like a dragon inside me...the meds and living a healthy lifestyle keep that dragon asleep. I know it could wake up - but I am learning to trust that there ARE things that will keep it asleep. Yes, it stirs now and then...but mostly it sleeps, thanks to good treatment.

There's almost nobody out there who does not have to deal with SOME kind of life issue - this just happens to be mine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SleepyInSeattle For This Useful Post:

Nicole (01-03-2013)

Thanks

Im 50 years old, was diagnose with lupus 26 years ago, still working full time. been in different medicines, but for the last 2 years been in the same meds( think they are working) I haven't had mayor health problems, just Knee replacement about 2 years ago, stage II kidney disease. Going to have elbow fusion at the end of January and kidney biopsy in february. I been lucky but I also very good on taking my medicines and doing my lab work. So thats my advice: be very good on taking good care of yourself.

WELCOME

Thanks

Welcome Wanda!

Try not to worry about What you imagine may happen in the future...they are only imaginings, deal with the truth as it happens. You have enough to deal with with joint pain, swelling, fatigue, depression etc!! I've been diagnosed just over a year but been having symptoms as far back as 13 years ago...still I have no major organ involvement and its only in the last 2 years I've seen any kind of advancement in my disease. I spent months worrying (and still do worry from time to time) about things that could *possibly* happen...I try to remind myself yeah i have lupus but I also cross the road several times a day and don't worry about being hit by bus. With lupus just remember, look both ways, keeps your eyes and ears peeled but keep on going like its something you do everyday....because it is.

Glad you found the forum
    I spent 2 years travelling Australia. Check out my travel blog at http://travelpod.com/members/helenlear