Thread: Severe reaction to insect bites

Thanks

Default Severe reaction to insect bites

Do any of you have bad reactions to insect bites?

I was bitten by a mozzie a week ago and it has spread along my arm - it doesnt hurt, but it looks like a raised hard rash/large hive and it itches. The bite mark is on one side and the rash has spread and is now about 5 inches, it doesnt feel hot it just looks like its raised, bright red - one big fat hive. Im putting on antiseptic cream.

I dont know if it is my Sjogrens that makes me overreact to insect bites - I reacted badly to a spider bite that put me in hospital prior to diagnosis. Or could it be the MTX that is making this damn thing not go away.

And may I also say that I am so cross with the sun, that if it were possible to shout at it, then I would. I went to town today for breakfast with my husband and had minimal exposure - my arms were covered up and I had on a long skirt but the UV index was medium. Within 30 minutes my ankles had swollen up and I was getting palpitations so if you couple that with my diseased looking arm/insect bite - I look as though I should have been quarantined! So I am angry with the sun for doing that to me - how childish am I?

Anyway, do any of you overreact to insect bites?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,108 Posts

the body treats the insect saliva as a toxin.

whilst on medication, we have reduced out immune responce.....
    some of us do react alot more than we used to.

yes it is normal for quite a few of us to react badly to insect bites.
    also deseases carried by insects are easier for us to catch.
    things like ross river virus carried by mosquitos is usually caught by us.
    (yes i have caught it)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Corella (01-01-2013)

Thanks

Corrella,

Even before I was diagnosed with Lupus, I was sensitive to insect bites. I always thought it was weird. Your five inch rash does seem like quite a reaction. You should take a photo of it and make sure you see your doctor about it.

Thanks

Yes, as of 3 years ago, I developed an anaphylactic reaction to the tiny black fire ants. I have to have shots 4 days a week now.

Thanks

Hmm, this makes sense to me now!
    Diagnosed in 2010 with SLE, recurring pericarditis, pericardial and pleural effusions. Fibromyalgia, Avascular Necrosis on both knees, IBS, Gastroparesis, migraines, DVT's, Pulmoray Emboli. Arthritis, pinched nerves and bulging disk all on the neck. Hyperthyroid issues. Neuropthy, anemia and insomnia "taking it one day at a time, what more can I do"