Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot and Cold

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Hot and Cold

No, not hot flashes! When I'm at work, I work with a bunch of human "popsicles". They complain they are cold all the time so the heat gets cranked up. I sit at my desk with the fan blowing directly on me and frequent trips outside to cool down. Even after I tell them over and over it is easier for them to PUT ON clothes as opposed to me TAKING CLOTHES OFF, the heat still gets cranked up and the boss refuses to do anything about it (probably because he is one of the popsicles). Then I go home, where dear hubby is on a personal mission to keep the utility bills as low as possible which means the house is a "balmy" 57-63 degrees fahrenheit. So I get into my warm jammies, my fuzzy robe and wrap up in a blanket. I'm either roasting or freezing. There is rarely any middle ground. I swear they are all (hubby included) trying to do me in! At home I do often manage to talk hubby into "cranking up the heat" to a whopping 65. Whoo hoo! Mind you we live in a very energy efficient home with utility bills that are way below the average for my area but I think he's going for a world record. Lucky me.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

Rita,
    We live where the outside temp is always between 55 and 65. We keep it fairly cool in the house, and our bills are really low.
    I love the cool temps. We'll soon be going back to South Texas, where it often reaches 100 in February and can still be hitting it in late October.
    I'm dreading trying to survive there, and I'm really dreading the utility bills.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I work in a place where the #$@# computers are more important than the humans that use them, and it is ALWAYS cold in there, winter spring summer and fall, year after year oh boy... We also have halon gas to put out any fires that might arise, which destroys the oxygen in the atmosphere. Saves the computers, kills the humans... lol

But our home environment is definitely not "green" friendly. I *will* be comfortable at home.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am sorry to report that I am a part of the "Human Popsicle" group. I INSIST that our home be kept at 75 degrees and our bill is through the roof. But, if I get the slightest chill, I am immediately sick and flat on my back for a week or more!
    Our summers are scorchers here (triple digits) and I very rarely allow him to turn the air conditioner on (lol). Poor guy, he has several private fans that he keeps close to him so that he can live in the hot box that I've made of our home.
    I am sorry that you are not finding much comfort...wish that I could help.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Oh man, I have so many problems regulating my body temperature that I seldom even bother to check what the actual temperature is, LOL....it could be a steady 72*F 24/7 and I would always be either freezing or roasting. I have given up trying to regulate indoor temperatures to keep myself comfortable because the swings would probably kill everyone else! I just wear lots of layers I can strip off or pile on, and drink ice water/hot tea as needed.

That being said, I'd way rather be bundled up in a cold room than sweating in a hot one - because, as you say, at least you can put layers on! But having to deal with roasting all the time is miserable.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My "favorite" comment from a coworker was when one of them said "well in all fairness, you do wear long sleeves all the time". Really? Even after I've educated my dear coworkers and informed them that flourescent lights are kryptonite that somehow, its MY problem because I don't wear short sleeves? As it usually goes, because lupus is one of the "invisible" diseases, we don't get the consideration we need.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

So happy to see this issue posted. I was diagnosed with 'undifferentiated connective tissue disease" with symptoms of lupus and any other autoimmune disease. A nice cherry picking concoction! I too have the night sweats and then freezing. Have been on hormones for years (I'm 52) which has helped until recently. My estrogen was low so they added more and it def helped.
    Last night craaazy though! Took a hot bath for first time in years and was soo weak and hot afterward slept for 12 hours!
    Any thoughts?
    Also people are telling me to stop alcohol, are 2 drinks or glasses of wine at dinner really that bad? Must admit its nightly, helps relax me!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

hi bonbon,
    and welcome.

the stories about lupus and alcohol are many and varied.

the facts as the appar to me is that if you take a desease modifying drug, (methotrexate, plaquenil, cellcept or stronger)...
    then the drug does not work properly when you have alcohol in your system.

so if you have 2 drinks with your evening meal, and take your medication in the morning...... you should have no alcohol in your system..... so it should be ok.

but if you take 2 drinks with your evening meal, and take your medicstion an hour afterwards....... the alcohol will stop your medication from working properly.

please speak to your doctor about this..... as different medications do react differently.

and many many of us do enjoy our little alcoholic relaxers !!!!!!!

Thanks

I am also so happy to see this issue posted. One of the first things i noticed before i was diagnosed was the change in my body temp. I used to be always cold then Wham something turned me into a furnace. Now i'm noticing and learning that a flare for me immediatly involves increased joint pain and this feeling of being cooked from the inside out. I'ts hard to describe to people, but it feels like being sunburnt all over your body. Boy and the night sweats, good god i'm not even close to menapause yet but i feel i will be quite experienced when it arrives. I don't know anyone else with Lupus, I have just joined this group and I'm already feeling like im not alone. THANK YOU. xx

Thanks

I keep my home at 72 in the winter and 75 in the summer. Unfortunately, I work in a "green" office building and they haven't figured out how to use the darn HVAC properly.

Yesterday, for instance, my office was a "balmy" 67 degrees. My hands were ice cubes all day. The fire Marshall has issued warnings to those of us with personal heaters and we have to go through OCR to get a special accommodation to use the heater. Seems like a lot of paperwork for something that could be easily repaired with knowledgeable HVAC techs.

I thought it was impacting several people in the office, but have recently learned that there are only a few "special ones" that are complaining about the low office temps. I think my co-workers must all be menopausal, having hot flashes and embracing the deep freezes they call their offices.