Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positive ANA

Thanks

Default Positive ANA

Hi. I am a 35-year-old man. I've been having muscle and joint pain along with low grade fever for the pat 2 years, and morning stiffness and increasing fatigue for the past 6 months. My GP ordered ANA which came back positive at 1:320 dilution with a speckled pattern. Ati-ENA panel is also positive for anti-Sm and anti-histone antibodies. Tha labs also showed high levels of IgG anticardiolipid antibodies 103 GPL (normal range <10 GPL), positive lupus anticoagulant and decreased complement C3 0.8 g/L (normal range 0.9-1.8) and C4 0.1 g/L (normal range 0.1-0.4). Besides that my blood tests were normal. What should I do? Could this be lupus?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

hi woolfie,
    there is a few other males here........ you are not alone.

lupus is diagnosed by eliminating other options, and then looking at symptoms.
    there is about 63 different auto immune disorders....
    so sometimes it takes a lot of eliminating.

yes your symptoms could be lupus......
    they could also be something else.
    i have fibromyalgia as well as lupus, and your symptoms fit there profile as well.

please take the time to read a few of our older posts.........
    they are our personal experiences with lupus.
    and the "search" feature is very usefull.

again welcome.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-01-2013)

Thanks

Hi steve.b
    Many thanks for your post. The only thing I got from my GP was that it couldn't be lupus because men don't get lupus. I'm waiting for my Rheumy referral - in the meantime i will do some more reading. Thank you once again.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woolfie View Post
    The only thing I got from my GP was that it couldn't be lupus because men don't get lupus.
    Hello Woolfie,

Welcome to our group.

Was your GP just kidding around with you, or was he serious when he told you men don't get Lupus?

Rob

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

This is me banging my head on the table because of idiot doctors. I am NOT a doctor and aam not saying you have Lupus but men can and do get Lupus!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-01-2013)

Thanks

Hi steve.b
    Many thanks for your post. The only thing I got from my GP was that it couldn't be lupus because men don't get lupus. I'm waiting for my Rheumy referral - in the meantime i will do some more reading. Thank you once again.
    Fire your GP!

Real men DO get Lupus. Your GP needs to get educated about AI issues. He sounds pretty old school to me.

Anyway, welcome to WHL. It's an awesome forum for SLE, support and friendship.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BonusMom For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-01-2013)

Thanks

Hi steve.b
    Eliminate your relationship with that doctor. I got that exact quote from a rheumatologist about five years ago. She'd quote me my test figures, feel around on my hands, or poke me in the ribs and say "these particulaar test results for the so and so are indicative of lupus, but you're a man, and men don't get lupus..." She and her nurse practitioner spent a good fifteen minutes with me on my 2nd visit (follow-up after the labs), and she must have said that "you're a man, and men don't get lupus" five times, if not ten. I never went back. I like the rheumy I have now, who is a person that listens, and explains, and is NOT biased, but rather follows the symptoms & diagnoses.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (01-01-2013)

Thanks

Hi,
    Thanks to you all.
    I suppose the GP was serious :O

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

If your GP was indeed serious, then I agree with everyone else...get rid of him. Find a doctor who has a modicum of intelligence and who is willing to educate himself about Lupus. Apparently, this doctor is too stupid to learn and, therefore, a complete waste of your time. Do get another doctor.
    I wish you the very best

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

My GP was the one woman, after several GP's I left, who determined that I had a rheumatic disorder. She is the one who helps me control the bevy of other doctors I have and she keeps current with my medications and condition. Doctors know very much about very little. They are knowledgeable about a small slice of diseases and medicines. If your GP or your other doctors do not treat you with respect and fail to address your illness then seek another doctor. I had a skin problem that a dermatologist could not identify, even after a biopsy, and wanted to patch the problem with skin from my derrière or my thigh. I later diagnosed the problem myself searching online and now receive treatment, after another biopsy, which has greatly helped.