Thread: shingles shot

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default shingles shot

Question: have any of you gotten the shingles shot? Should lupies get the shot? I got my flu shot a couple months ago with no ill effects but I'm curious as to whether I should get the shingles shot or not. I had chickenpox when I was a kid. Your thoughts?
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Thanks

I'm in the same boat, and it needs pitching... anyway, I'm going to the doc week after next, and have made a note to ask about it. Only trouble is, will I remember the note? I'm a bit concerned with all this "marketing" in recent years for "immunizations", and how "important" they are... I've had shingles a couple of times, and dey ain't no fun fer certain, but another shot? What's the shot's ingredients, and how's it made? How does the shot "prevent" the shingles, and what are the side effects? How does a person weigh the risk of "the disease" versus "the cure" in this case, ya know?... Shingles is an inflammation of the nerve fibre, and I'm not sure I want another entity in there messin' witt my nerves. the lupus is already doin' a number on me... but I don't want the shingles again either.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmail For This Useful Post:

ruziska (12-31-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I too have had the shingles more than once.They are not fun and that is a huge understatement.

The vaccine is a live one.It is NOT recommended for those immunecompromised/suppressed or under the age of 60.

If you arent compromised and dont meet the age requirement make sure your ins will pay for it since it is not reccommended til age 60 by the CDC.

I wouldnt have the shot even if I hadnt been a steroid pt for over 6yrs(plus MTX)the virus is on your nerve pathways if you have ever had chickenpox-it is VERY similar to herpes simplex(fever blisters)and like fever blisters the virus is an opportunist...waits until it can overwhelm and conquer and conquer it does!

I wont get the shot(I just turned 40)even if I am ever able to.I am like jmail and require a why?....the versions of why that are being pitched by pharma dont excite me as I need more than "because we said" and the vaccine does NOT prevent further breakouts.That virus will always be there vaccine or not.

Although on the funny side of it, it is AMAZING how many shingles vaccines commercials that come on when you are home watching tv and broke out,signs that are posted outside pharms,and for those that get it if you are friendly with your drs staff you can have a TON of fun by forcing them to say "herpes" multiple times as people get really embarassed by the word-I guess because most assume that the only kind are genital not taking into account the fact that fever blisters,chickenpox and shingles are all forms of herpes too.Its just fun to force someone to say it when it makes their face flare soooo red.

So to recap as this was long-winded(sorry guys)

Live vaccine and only recommended for people that are 60 or older and not immune compromised
    if you arent active in your illness and dont meet CDC age requirements make sure to get prior insurance approval on the shot as you will most likely end up with a bill.
    SLE w/Sjogrens Overlap and Raynaud's diagnosed in 2007.Fibro in 2009.

The Early Bird May Get The Worm But the Second Mouse Gets The Cheese.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ItsLupus2007 For This Useful Post:

jmail (12-31-2012), ruziska (12-31-2012), steve.b (12-31-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

live vaccines are a problem for lupus sufferers.
    please talk to your rhuemy before taking any live vaccines.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

ruziska (12-31-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Exactly steve and it doesnt prevent further episodes..only lessens the likelihood?

if you break out once you are more likely to do so again.I have had two breakouts this yr and they have been in totally different areas but I still wouldnt do the shot.

I do hope all read this and are then further armed with the knowledge that if the option is presented to them at the GP that they do need to let the nurse/dr know they are compromised and arent supposed to have live vaccines.Alot of drs that see patients this time of yr get so in the rut of "have you had your flu/shingles vaccine" that they dont stop to think about who they are offering it to and if you arent aware its live and you arent suppsed to have it might assume its ok because the dr offered it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ItsLupus2007 For This Useful Post:

ruziska (12-31-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My primary said not to get the shingles vaccine something to with the Cellcept i'm on or was it the plaquenil. Well either way he said not to and I cant remember why? I always get my flu shot every year though.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Cellcept is an immune suppressing med and therefore you shouldnt have a live vaccine shot.The flu shot is not a live virus-therefore it is safe.