Thread: New member

Thanks

Default New member

Hi! My name is Ruth and I was diagnosed in August. I'm 63 years old and am a nurse. My symptoms started 2 years ago after contracting a diarrheal illness (probably norovirus) on a cruise. Initial symptom was swollen hands, and Raynaud's emerged the next winter. A change in my work hours and job duties led to lack of sleep and increased stress, and a real exacerbation of my symptoms. In June, my ANA came back 1:1260, and I was referred to a rheumatologist. Of the other diagnostic lab tests, only the anti-DNA DS was slightly positive. I am treated with naproxen and plaquenil, and have had a real reduction in the hand swelling over 4 months. There are erosive changes to several joints in my hands. I have only had a mild sun rash in my neck once this summer, when I didn't wear a hat at mid day doing yard work. No butterfly rash.

All in all, I'm pretty fortunate that I have little discomfort, and am able to work. I am seeking a Reasonable Accommodation by reassignment under the ADA, and will probably get it. (I have worked night shifts for 33 years, and can't sleep normal hours reliably. SO I need permanent night shifts.)

Ruth

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Ruth. Welcome to the WHL family. Please make yoursf at home and I look forward to getting to know yiu
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi Ruth, and welcome to WHL from here also! My mil's name is Ruth also, and is a retired rn. She did oncology, home health, er, private practice, etc., a little bit of everything.
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."

Thanks

I am happy to welcome a new member to WHL. I am new here as well.