Thread: Burning Hands

Thanks

Default Burning Hands

Hi everyone.

I have a question. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with SLE. There has been a symptom of something i've had for years and now I wonder if it's got something to do with my SLE.

There are times I can be sitting still reading a book or in bed sound asleep and my hands will start turning red and burning. Literaly like i'm sticking them in a fire and you can litterally feel the heat coming off them.

I check my blood pressure. It is ok, I check my blood glucose and it is fine. There are times the only way it will go away is putting them under running water. It littlerally feels like I am about to spontaneously combust. Every once in a while my face will do it for a few minutes and my feet. But it is basically my hands.

So, if it is SLE, will medications help this?

Thanks

I've honestly have never experienced anything near what you described, I have raynauds & my fingers/ hands & feet/toes will burn or go numb but they turn purple or blanch white (almost an unreal look), but they're always ice cold.

Just out of curiosity if your on any medications-now or since you said you've had this prior to the sle dx-are you on?
    Do you use creams or lotions? Bengay or arthritic rubs?

I could be wrong but it sounds more like an inflammation issues, perhaps caused by an irritant?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Several of us have this issue. You might want to mention it to your PCP for a referral to a neuro for some testing. It could also be a symptom of FIBRO. Someone my firo is actually worse then my lupus as far as skin pain goes. Talk to the PCP and the rhuemy. There is treatment for this
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Topomax and some other seizure meds will cause that burning in hands and feet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tgal View Post
    Several of us have this issue. You might want to mention it to your PCP for a referral to a neuro for some testing. It could also be a symptom of FIBRO. Someone my firo is actually worse then my lupus as far as skin pain goes. Talk to the PCP and the rhuemy. There is treatment for this
    Thx Tgal,
    It was a Nuero who dx'd my SLE and she is saying my Fibro is not fibro, just fibro type symptoms due to the Lupus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bakedtater08 View Post
    I've honestly have never experienced anything near what you described, I have raynauds & my fingers/ hands & feet/toes will burn or go numb but they turn purple or blanch white (almost an unreal look), but they're always ice cold.

Just out of curiosity if your on any medications-now or since you said you've had this prior to the sle dx-are you on?
    Do you use creams or lotions? Bengay or arthritic rubs?

I could be wrong but it sounds more like an inflammation issues, perhaps caused by an irritant?
    Bakedtater, thx for responding. I had these issues way before I was put on any type of meds and I do not use creans or lotions of any kind. I can't stand the smell or greasy feel of them.