Most of the information I've gathered from reputable websites, including the information given to me by my rheumy, states that Lupus causes weight loss and extreme sleepiness (resulting in extra sleep). While I do feel generally fatigued, tire easily and often need to lay down (even if I can't sleep due to parenting responsibilities), at night I suffer from severe insomnia; sometimes I only sleep for 3 hours and then cannot get back to sleep at all! I end up feeling so exhausted; the only thing that has helped at all is amitriptyline (endep) which my rheumy prescribed me for restless leg type pain. Even so, it often doesn't help me past the three hour sleep mark. I wind up in a catch 22 where the lack of sleep heightens the neuropathic pain and other Lupus symptoms and then it just keeps spiraling downwards...

Also, I had gained nearly 30kg from the time I began having obvious Lupus symptoms until about 5 months ago! I've since lost 14 of those kilos but am obviously still much heavier than I was prior to Lupus. I was wondering if anyone else has either/both of these complaints or whether these are just symptoms unique to me. I hate feeling like a medical anomaly! And, if so, what has helped you?