Thread: Anyone up for a weird/neat experiment??

Thanks

Default Anyone up for a weird/neat experiment??

Ok. so, I went to Halloween ball with my guy in Oct. I turned around a looked in his direction and noticed his eyes were super wide, he was just staring at me. I was like, "what??" He responded with "wow! Your eyes are glowing super bright in the blacklight!! That's so cool!". I really didn't think much of it as I have had ppl tell me that before. Then he assured me I was the ONLY person he'd ever seen do that. I've started asking around a little and am getting the same response : "Ummm, no, I have never met anyone that has that happen". and it's usually in a weird tone, lol, (and I've been involved in the Art/Club scene for years... nothing is weird) Well, he was baffled and apparently spent hours researching this on line. Just the other night as we were chatting he brought it up and said that he saw something about Lupus in the mix of things he read. I've, as of yet, not been able to find that particular article, but have found others. Advanced Glycation end products (AGEs). I've been finding many studies showing that we have a seemingly higher incidence rate. AGEs cause a little phenomenon called Human Lens Fluorescence. I've found other people also have a reaction like this (very very few) and it usually is a marker of some underlying issue. I'm definitely no expert on reading Optomology (?) studies/reports, so I can't really elaborate on this with any sort of confidence. My curiosity is peaked, though. If many of us do have this strange characteristic, could this be a possible way to help diagnoses? Does this occurrence signify a possible flare coming? I know my boyfriend's reaction was way more intense than others who have noticed this, so, maybe it has gotten more obvious? I have been in "remission" for almost 2 years, until recently I had next to no symptoms. Very recently I've started getting a little worried, and this made me really think about all this being somewhat coincidental. Paranoid? Yep! but, really, I'm super curious if anyone out there has had this same thing happen. Lupus Black-light party, anyone? lol (more like Wolves than they know? )

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hmm,

This is kind of interesting. Don't know what it means, but I'm definitely curious.

I have a portable blacklight that I used to use for pest control when I lived in
    the Desert Southwest. The scorpions common to that region are really small,
    and can be difficult to see. However, they are nocturnal hunters and they are
    a white color that fluoresces under a blacklight, which makes them easy to see,
    catch, and get rid of.

I'll dig up the old blacklight and have Karen see if I glow...

ETA-I see you are from Texas, Blu. You probably have the
    same kind of scorpions where you live.
    Last edited by rob; 12-14-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks

Yes, Rob we do. I'm kind of a fan of scorpions and the like. Emperor Scorps glow like mad under uv/black- light, too, so beautiful!

Let me know how it turns out! It could be absolutely nothing, aside from me having weird eyes, lol!
    But, I am very curious after reading some of the things I found. I appreciate your response, so thanks.
    I think this is such a strange disease, many of us are always looking for hints and commonalities. Maybe, or maybe I'm just that curious cat.
    No one, other than you, has responded yet, so that could be it. In any case, it's just a really interesting subject to read about.

Thanks again! Peace~ Blu

Thanks

I am going to try it out - we have a black light buried somewhere in the halloween decorations - but I probably won't get to it until after New Year's...I am really interested!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

i have been ill for a couple of days ..... so i have just read this.

interesting to find out more.
    i do know that lupies have sore eyes more often than "normal" people.
    and that glare can cause us a fair amount of discomfort, before most others around us.

it will be interesting to see how many others this does effect.
    do we all have wolves eyes, to go with the wolf face.

Thanks

I just wanted to also point out that Black-lights are UV. So, please be careful. It's also not very good for anyone's eyes, let alone ours. I think it's probably safe if it's done fairly quickly. I just wanted to remind everyone.
    Steve, I hope you are feeling better, I'm sorry you've been ill.

Peace~Blu

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StarPhire For This Useful Post:

steve.b (12-16-2012)

Thanks

Blu,
    This is interesting. Those of us who have an overlap of Sjogren's have dry eyes and other eye problems.
    I've been told that SJS is my main problem. I would love to see if this works for me, too.
    Unfortunately, we don't have a blacklight, but when I can be around one, I'll check this theory out.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Ya know how they put a dye in your eyes if you've scratched your cornea, and then they use a black light to "see" the scratch? I wonder how much a Sjogren's bunch of tiny little scratches on the cornea might influence the reflectivity of a black light?... now, where's all my black light posters and incense?... found my sandals and bandanna...
    "There but for the grace of God, go I."
    "... His mercy endureth for ever."