Thread: Can't catch a break.......

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Can't catch a break.......

So it seems that I just can't catch a break in life. I'm finally feeling healthy and it's finals week and then BAM! The side of my finger starts hurting. Turns out I have paronychia in my finger from pulling a cuticle. I went to med express to get it taken care of because that's what my campus nurse told me to do. They should have drained it, but instead they just gave me antibiotics. They didn't help and now my entire finger is swollen and DISGUSTING looking. It hurts sooo bad and it's to the point where I can't even bend it anymore.

Googling about it, it said that this condition is often alot worse in patients with compromised immune systems......

I have an appointment on the 17th to see my doctor since i'll be home from school. I'm scared as to what they're going to have to do. But reading said that the longer you wait, the more the infection spreads and its very apparent that its happened already. Ugh. Just in time for finals.

Has anyone had this problem before and or know anything about it??

Last edited by ashleybaby715; 12-11-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just A Little Lupie!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

happy to see you here again.
    sad to hear the reason.

wishing you good fortune with your finals.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks! I really hope I do well!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Let us know how the appointment goes!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Ugh. Don't know anything about that specific problem, but I know we are much more succeptible to any kind of infection. I have had infections just from shaving my legs!!! It sounds like you need a good doctor you trust who you can go to who understands and has your history, because I NEVER take antibiotics unless it is absolutely necessary and after my doctor and I have discussed the right one. Many antibiotics will make you sicker or not work. Docs are quick to prescribe the "usual" meds, but a good one who knows your situation will be able to try to find one that works best for your specific issue (not all of them are the same, and most work better for some conditions than others) so you can limit the amount you have to take. Both my antibiotics for bronchitis and my allergy meds are "old" drugs that most pharmacies never use, but that my doc and I have found work well for me for specific reasons. Use topical treatments as much as possible for the skin (peroxide, alcohol, drawing salve, antibiotic ointments, etc.) . Most importantly - keep it clean!!! Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I definitely will!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teaberry View Post
    Ugh. Don't know anything about that specific problem, but I know we are much more succeptible to any kind of infection. I have had infections just from shaving my legs!!! It sounds like you need a good doctor you trust who you can go to who understands and has your history, because I NEVER take antibiotics unless it is absolutely necessary and after my doctor and I have discussed the right one. Many antibiotics will make you sicker or not work. Docs are quick to prescribe the "usual" meds, but a good one who knows your situation will be able to try to find one that works best for your specific issue (not all of them are the same, and most work better for some conditions than others) so you can limit the amount you have to take. Both my antibiotics for bronchitis and my allergy meds are "old" drugs that most pharmacies never use, but that my doc and I have found work well for me for specific reasons. Use topical treatments as much as possible for the skin (peroxide, alcohol, drawing salve, antibiotic ointments, etc.) . Most importantly - keep it clean!!! Good luck!
    She almost prescribed me an antibiotic that I was allergic to!!! Even after I clearly said that I was allergic to Penicillin. THEN she almost prescribed me something that would have counteracted with my methotrexate and caused Renal Failure! That place is such a waste of time. I can't wait to be back in Pittsburgh where the REAL doctors are.

Thanks

Hey Ashley!
    It was good to see you here again!
    Today is the 17th, so I hope that you saw your doc and got that infection taken care of.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi all! I actually went to the er this past saturday because my finger got so bad. turns out it was a staph infection. They had to give me IV antibiotics because it was so bad. Then they shot me with novocaine in my finger (which was very unpleasant) and they did two incisions to drain it. Now i'm on new antibiotics that I have to take four times a day and i'm all wrapped up and splinted. I never thought cuts this small would be SO painful! I just can't wait until it gets better. If only Lupus didn't make it almost impossible for things to heal in a reasonable time.